Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Australia/Singapore with dog

• 07-02-2023 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all!

Does anyone have experience with flying a dog to Australia?

We’re strongly considering the move but want to make sure it’s the best choice for us + pup. He has flown before, both cabin and as checked baggage and we’ve had no problem. Cost, we expect, but would like to do it as cheap as possible too.

Currently considering flying him in cabin to Singapore but I’m having trouble finding out if the application process needs to start fresh from here if we stop for any period of time (which is the plan to give him a break and to buy a crate to travel as cargo the remainder of the way)

I have all the information on quarantine already, looking for flight/travel/Singapore information and recommendations.

(P.s hoping to avoid pet transport companies, seems they also need to stop in Singapore or LA so I’d prefer to have him with me)

thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I can’t comment on singapore, however i imported my dog to Australia when i left ireland. It is a long and expensive process. It takes at least 7months to import your dog to Australia. They need to get their rabies vaccination and then about 3-4weeks later need to be titre tested. If they have reached titre levels, they then need to spend 6mths in ireland before they can be imported to Australia. Once in australia they have 10days in quarantine. Quarantine fees are in the region of $2000aud and they must fly as cargo into australia. I can’t remember what my boys flight was but i think it was in the region of 4000pounds (he is a malamute so big boy and he flew out of the UK).

in addition if you are planning on staying in singapore with the dog for a while, he may be considered as being imported from singapore and not ireland and the conditions may be different (there are three ‘sets’ of countries and each country has different rules regarding what is required. Australia has also banned some countries altogether now apparently as a result of an increase in fraudulent rabies certificates.

The Australian government daff website has everything you need to know and spells out every step you need to follow. There are a lot and very specific and strict timelines for various vaccines they need (in addition to the rabies). Be aware that dogs can also fail to reach titre levels after their first vaccination…my boy needed 4 vaccines to reach titre levels and each failed test pushed our timeline back a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Actually looking at the daff website https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/cats-dogs/step-by-step-guides#group-2-country-cats-and-dogs looks like singapore is not an approved country so there will be no way to import a dog that has been in a singapore (for anymore than a stopover between flights). Previously you used to be able to move the dog to an approved country for 6mths but that process is being stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RebM

Hey I just came across your question as I am wondering the same thing.
    Was it possible for you to fly to Singapore with your dog in the cabin and then fly to Melbourne from Singapore with your dog in cargo?

Advertisement