Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new Tiguan

• 07-02-2023 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Just wondering am i mental to buy a new Diesel Tiguan? I wanted to order a new Hybrid but they have been pulled from the market because they cant fill the orders.

My local VW does have one on a boat right now but its neither the colour nor the right wheels. The color isnt a major issue to be honest.

I can order a diesel Automatic or just get a Manual right now no problem but it is mad? Will Diesels be that much of a no go in 3 years?

I'm not getting PCP so that doesn't come into it and the reason i want a new one is because a 2 year old facelift model is only 7k less at the moment.

Thanks for the info!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I probably wouldn’t buy a diesel manual to be honest. A diesel automatic would be a safer bet. The majority of new cars being sold now are electric/hybrid, all of which are automatic too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A new diesel sounds like a depreciation storm brewing at this point as demand for them must be falling like a stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

id nearly look at the 1.5 petrol tiguan auto.. i had one and traded it last year against an id4 and got mad money for it.. tiguans really hold their value second hand.. it was a bit of a crazy year but i got 38k for 3 year old one that only cost me 41.5k.. it was a nice spec.. grey leather and sun roof.. was a nice car to drive.. the id4 has a lot more boot space and interior space but obviously electric etc.. which brings it owns complications.. i have a friend picking up a diesel auto superb l & k next week.. will be lovely car.. there' doesnt seem to be a cliff yet in terms of drop off for diesel/petrol cars.. if anything the price of electricity has probably spooked some potential ev buyers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

yeah im really not gone on the idea of a Diesel Manual.

Also, only options for a Tiguan are Diesel Auto or Diesel Manual.

Currently no petrol or Petrol Hybrid available to order.

Tiguan still seems to be a popular car even with the iD4 on sale now. I’d have no problem buying one if it suited my use. Diesel should still be okay in the used market for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭ec_pc

I think it's a risk spending a lot of money on a brand new diesel, while nobody has a crystal ball for future prices, there are a few things you can almost be sure of : diesel prices will only go up, already 10c more than petrol and will be taxed on the basis that the polluter pays, probable road tax increases at some stage too plus retail value will in my mind be diminished.

In say 3 years time there will be a lot more electric options and most likely at a cheaper price new and a much greater 2nd hand market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

EVs only seem to get more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

All tax will go up. There was a report out yesterday whinging that PHEV are taxed too low. EVs will see the tax there go up too. Motor tax is a big part of the countries tax and everyone moving over to EVs will inevitably lead to taxes risinig to keep the pot full.

OP, if you are keeping the car long term, then go get it. I'd even say if trading in a couple of years again it will have held it's value well. (gut feeling is all I have for that one mind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Based on sales over last 5 years, any Tiguan you buy they are certain to hold their value really well- despite being a big seller new there are hardly 2021/ 2022 on the market as owners like them and dealers tend to have them sold when they come in. Any model from the base petrol 1.4 Life to the PHEV R-Line Allspace is in great demand used.

The Tiguan Life manual diesel is just 122bhp and a bit lacking - the auto is 150bhp and moves much better. If you get a a higher spec Tiguan Elegance or R-Line or indeed any Allspace they all come with the 150bhp engine either in manual or auto. I prefer the auto but I don't think they are worth the additional 4/5k and you will have no problem selling a manual diesel in 3 or 4 years time so its personal choice really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Forget all the doomsayers, they’ve been wishing for diesels downfall since dieselgate 8 years ago. They predicted diesel values would hit the floor. They wouldn’t be allowed in city centres, they’d be banned by 2030 etc etc.

Buy what you want, Tiguan’s hold stupid money second hand, people want them.

• Advertisement

Some very good info here guys thanks!

Its certainly an R-Line im after because if i cant keep my 4 Series it must he at least cool looking haha!

Would you consider the new X1? Look like they are similar price to the Tiguan and bang up to date styling and infotainment etc and coming from a 4 series it might not be as much of a shock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do you actually need something with the size and space of a Tiguan?

If not then a Cupra Formentor is worth looking at. Made by Seat which is part of the VW Group and as crossover/SUVs go it's pretty stylish looking. It's more of a taller estate than a jumped up SUV. They are supposed to be decent enough t to drive too. It's available with the same engines as the Tiguan also so 1.5 litre petrol and 1.4 litre phev. It's cheaper than the Tiguan and there might be more stock available, not to mind being a less common sight on the road.

For example:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3108190

https://www.carsireland.ie/2788389

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Whatever about the engine choice, I would strongly recommend you pay the few quid extra for a DSG over a manual. Ideal for a car like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I know someone here in Co. Dublin who was looking in December at pre-booking for 2023 delivery possibly a petrol or petrol/ hybrid tiguan and like you he was told there was no petrol ones available anymore, just petrol / hybrid which would something like 60k, and diesel ones for forty something. They must not have got enough orders for the petrol / hybrid ones.

The current Tiguan has been around since 2016 and is being replaced with a brand new model later this year. As well as the chip short and supply chain issues I'd say VW are phasing out the current model range in preparation for the launch of the new model.

Seen some spy shots of the new one, it’s exactly what you’d expect. Gloppy weird front end, neat enough in parts, but oddly proportioned like a mk8 Golf. VW are really in a low spot styling wise.

I don't think VW were ever high in the style stakes to be honest but they do know what their buyers want. I also don't think they are going to invest too much in refreshing their ICE models going forward either to be honest. Thing is they have the ID.3 competing with their Golf and ID.4 competing with their Tiguan now as price increases and tax hikes push their ICE cars up closer to their originally more expensive ID models. I'd imagine it won't be sustainable to keep two models competiting in each segment long term.

Yeah I went from a Tiguan last year to an id4 gtx and it's a more practical car space wise.. I thought it was expensive till I looked at the Tiguan new prices.. which of course helped me getting a better trade against the id4

I did but the boot in the hybrid is impractical with a buggy.

The diesel auto starts at 54, hybrid at 55 and the Allspace i think was 59. Allspace just out of my reach even tho i had a petrol auto in holland for a week and fell in love with it.

Even tho it just got a facelift?

• Advertisement

Also, is there something about the glass roof versions being notoriously leaky?

It got a facelift in late 2020 and that was fairly subtle so it's still basically the same car launched 7 years ago. Alot of the tech in them is still from the Mk7 Golf/B8 Passat which may or may not be a bad thing given the newer VW tech is all touchscreen with no buttons and can be buggy.

They are gone crazy expensive too now for what they are imo.

If you can get the PHEV for the same money as a 2.0 diesel auto I would definitely go with the PHEV, assuming you can charge at home. See on carzone Pierce Motors advertising two of them so if you travel you might get one in a colour you like- other dealers might be worth a call to see what they have ordered for stock

there was an early issue with sunroofs leaking but i had no issues with mine.. was 2020 car

One of them is Sat in Dublin clearing customs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

You need to be doing high mileage if buying a VAG diesel (or any diesel) By that I mean regular long non stop motorway journeys and avoid short stop/start trips if at all possible. Reason DPF /EGR cooler units problems. It's a major issue with new VAG diesel engines (and others) trying to do, what is almost impossible for a diesel engine i.e to comply with Euro 6 CO2 emissions regulations. Replacing an ERG cooler unit can costs up to €1,200😒

By the way the Tiguan R Line is a lovely vehicle and head & shoulders above the Korean & Jap equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

My parents have one, a 2021 2.0 TDI R-Line. They had a non-R-Line for 3 years before that.

Both have the pano-roof and neither car has had any issue with the roof. The pano-roof is a lovely job on a car that size, would recommend.

Both cars are DSG, strongly recommend this option, it makes for a much nicer all round car.

He's had some niggly minor-ish software problems in the current car, similar to the kind of issues cropping up in the MK8 Golf.

The R-Line spec really beefs up the looks, they're a good looking machine and still far better looking than anything in the electric (ID) range imo.

The current Tiguan is a handsome car though. I read they sacked their head of styling recently.

Ive decided im not going to get a new one, gonna hunt a 2021 Automatic Diesel instead. I was looking at the cupra but its got that aful infotainment system you see in the french cars. Ive rented a few in Amsterdam and i hate the infotainment in them.

• Advertisement

Given Cupra is a VW brand isn't the infotainment exactly the same?

The Tiguan still uses the old style infotainment system with physical climate controls whereas Cupra are using the new style which some people are finding hard to get used to

Yeah, i was sure it was the same as the system you see in the french cars which turned me off it. I rent a lot in Amsterdam airport and its always french cars. There is a Hybrid with 21k KM on it for sale in dublin for 50k. Might check it out.

Has anyone first hand info on the fuel consumption when in petrol mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭tanka006

Slightly off topic question - apologies OP

Are all Tiguan 2.0l Diesel RLine automatic year 2020 in Ireland DSG gearbox?

Or do you get an automatic that is not DSG?

Thank you

Tanka

They have all been DSG gearboxes for many years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭tanka006

Thank you Bazz26

• Advertisement

So went to view the tiguan. Gorgeous car, great drive but a bit underwhelmed on the interior. Had to go to Athlone to test drive a Q3 Sportback S-Line, fell in love and done a deal. Red - Absolute heaven. A very quiet diesel too it is and every bit as big inside as the gig with a bigger boot and a space saver wheel i was pleasantly surprised to find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Audi are the premium version of VW. So makes sense.

its a 2020 just in from PCP, a fantastic specimen. Only thing ill miss about the 4 series is the Harmon/kardon. Its a beautiful car but everything comes to an end.

Advertisement