Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back Window Replaced - Can hear loads of glass behind new panel - AITA?

• 07-02-2023 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got my back window replaced today by a reputable firm that I never had issue with before. Unfortunately when I went back out to the car and opened the hatch I could hear a load of glass sliding down the inside of the panel. Same when boot is closed.

Now I know it's not easy to get all of the glass out, but there's so much that my phone was able to pick it up easily when recording a video. It's like a grinding sound.

I phoned the company and the manager said this is common; I disagreed as the amount of glass and noise is excessive.

In a nutshell they said they'll speak to the fitter and get back to me tomorrow to see if there's anything they can do but they doubt it as it's 'sealed'. I got the impression that they're going to tell me nothing can be done as the glass is already in place. I did say I would expect them to take out this glass and make a better effort getting the rest of it out as a suggestion was made about 'shaking it out'. I'd rather not have people manhandling the hatch and causing damage to its alignment.

It bothers me as, aside from the frustration of it, if I ever tried to sell the car the first thing a person would notice when opening the hatch is that there's the horrible sound of smashed glass.

AITA for expecting something to be done about this? It was being done under my insurance and I notified them, too. The company is getting €400 for this so surely a better effort should have been made.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Bonding can be cut if needed, I've had it done several times. Sounds like the fitter rushed the job to me. I assume they removed the old glass before fitting so who is to say they didn't at the very least make the issue worse.

I wouldn't listen to nonsense on this one, its a simple process that they weren't bothered doing right in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Hazy area. When the glass got broken pieces went in between the hatch door & the plastic trim inside the door. Glass fitters would have no reason to remove the trim. Glass is bonded from the outside. Likewise you wouldn't be removing the rear screen to vacuum the broken glass out.

Jury will have to remain out in so far as whose job is to remove the trim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Thanks for that Barabus. I've had a spate of bad luck with the car lately. Between the dealer ordering wrong parts and then losing trim accessories when putting the thing back together, only for this to happen shortly after, this really has made my day.

I'm at the stage where I'll lost the plot if they arse it up or try to fob me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I've already removed the trim from inside the boot, very easy to do, there's no glass there. It's literally between the new glass panel and the metal channel underneath it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

I'm trying to imagine what you're describing. But on a window opening there shouldn't be any holes in to the actual tailgate.

When you let up & down the hatch with the panel removed it might be easier to pinpoint it

• Advertisement
Advertisement