Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot find any where to rent

Options
  • 07-02-2023 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

The rental market is crazy. I have been searching for a year now and went to view places on either side of the country. I went to view a place in Bray, Kerry, Galway and even Sligo so I'm flexible in that I would be able to move to anywhere. The closest I got to finding a place was the back end of Donegal but for reasons I decided against it. And all those places I listed that I viewed plus other places not listed all had a tonne of interest and they were not lying like they used to back in the day hoping you would just move in quickly. I am on property websites every day and no luck entering my details and many times they do not reply but they are most likely swamped. I'm not wealthy so I am at the bottom end of the market where most people are so that is why I am finding it difficult since everyone wants to spend as little as possible on rent. €1100 is the highest a month I can afford. But I would prefer to spend less than that obviously.

It's getting to a point where I may have to move into my car but I honestly am against that but there is not much else I can do.

Post edited by The_Conductor on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Look into a houseshare.

Also, join local accommodation Facebook pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You don't give us much to go on. Single? Working? Kids? Pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Single, no kids and no pets. I work as an electrician but for myself so when I apply to places that have a estate agent look over the deal they see me and think NO.

I have a few quid in the bank but not rich but I have enough to pay rent for a year and pay for food and other bills.

But I understand the reluctancy of a estate agent to pick me over the countless other people applying who would have a full time job with references from work.

I have references from a previous rental property from the last over three years. I also lived in other places over the years but do not have any references from them even though I was a model tenant but they were a long time ago in Galway and Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

OP. Firstly, sorry you find yourself at the rough end of the mad rental market we find ourselves in. Its not your fault, but you have to face the reality that there is way to little supply, and anything you can do to beat the competition has to be considered. Check out your normal responses to ads to make sure you are highlighting yourself in the most positive way. In stead of looking at being self employed as a negative, can you put yourself forward as owning your own business, and can you get a reference from your accountant to say your turnover has been over x euro for the last 3 years etc. Then, try to narrow your search and contact local agents in your target areas. Tell them you can pay first month, last month and a months deposit etc. to make you more attractive than the competition. Good luck - i hope you find somewhere.

I do not have an accountant. I shouldn't be saying this but I pay no tax or anything like that. The reason I am flexible to move any where in the country is when I move to such a place I'd contact local electricians asking if they need any help on a job and get work that way. I do not work all the time either.

Some days I may work a few hours and then other days I could go week or two weeks without working.

But I just realised something with what you wrote. I can afford to pay the years contract of rent up front. Can you do that and what would I have to do to not get ripped off. Get something wrote up and both us sign it saying a years rent was paid up front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't offer to pay the year up-front: it makes you look like a drug dealer

The casual nature of your employment would concern any potential landlord, I'm sure this will continue to be a major stumbling block when looking for a place. If you could look for more stable employment it might help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I second this. I helped a colleague of mine find an apartment to rent last year as his English wasn't great. We rang the letting agent, and I translated the conversation from Italian. He offered 25k in cash to have the apartment for the year, and the agent promptly said "no". I got the impression that he thought that we were either mafosi or that we were starting a side business for, shall we say, gentlemen with marital issues...

I wanted to make him an offer he couldn't refuse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Isn't it illegal now anyway to pay more than 2 months rent in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It is illegal to demand a higher deposit, but if the tenant wants to pay a years rent up front, doubt there is a law against voluntarily paying rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭Deeec

Unfortunately OP you are not deemed a potential good tenant by landlords. You are not working as such - you cant show payslips or income tax returns. You dont have any guaranteed income. Landlords will want you to prove you have means to pay the rent.

Is there a reason why you cant work?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You sound like an ideal candidate for one of the property guardian organisations or caretakers in return for rent-type arrangements, provided you are not a big drug taker or a headbanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

From personal experience looking for a place to rent a few years ago a lot of places were looking for proof of income i.e payslips, I would imagine its still the same now. Really hope you find somewhere soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You are not clear about what you want, let alone where you want it. Do you want a house, apartment, falkt bedsit sharing or alone?

A house in the country or a couple of miles outside of a town. By myself, no sharing and no apartments as dealing with neighbours isn't for me.

Mind you I did view a bedsit in Galway city a couple of weeks ago but never got it even though he never asked for any references and I never told him about my strange work schedule. I also see a fair bit of buildings for rent on landlords property they are not for me either as I'd feel I have no freedom and the landlord would be annoying me even though he wouldn't be doing anything just little things like him cutting the grass or both of us go outside at the same time. I know that is strange but that type of thing annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

So you are a loner per se. Prefer the countryside.

The only issue will be Irregular employment.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Something amiss here. Electricians are in short supply, I know companies crying out to employ them and they can't be got for love nor money. And any self employed electricians I know are flat to the floor busy and can and do name their price for jobs. Fellas are even giving preposterously high outrageous quotes for jobs they don't want to take on because they are so busy and are still being told "yeah, fine go ahead with that, when can you start". For small domestic repair/maintenance jobs an electrician simply cannot be got unless you have contacts. Fellas are saying things like they wouldn't get out of bed/start the van for any job netting them less than € 800 a day.

So something is off here. You are either not a real electrician, or there is something else going on.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Anyway I didn't start this thread to deep dive into my life. I was just pointing out that it is extremely difficult now a days to find some where to live especially when I am not in full time employment and don't feel like working full time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I see. Well, beggars can hardly be choosers.

If you want accomodation, then you have a highly sought after qualification that will enable you to earn serious money. If you choose not to avail of the opportunity that affords you, well then that is your own choice, and I wouldn't have much meas on your bemoaning how difficult it is to rent a place because you are too lazy to get up off your hole and do a bit of work.

There are fellas who would give their arm to have an electrician qualification, apprenticeships are impossible to get any more cos employers don't have the time for it, and to be honest I wouldn't blame them because the quality of apprentice these days is toilet stuff. And you there wasting it.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement

I feel I worked hard enough over the years and now just do a bit every now and then. I was an apprentice 23 years ago. And then got qualified 4 years later. I know I could be doing quite well if I was working full time but I feel I don't have to. I have a house with a mortgage that I bought years ago but it's in a town in a busy housing estate which I would not like to live there now. If I had built it in the countryside I would live in there now myself but that's the way things go. I rent it out.

I will get some where eventually even if it means paying the years rent up front. As I said back through the thread that thought about paying all upfront only just came to me while in this thread so it would be a plus for the estate agent or landlord if I was to pay it all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Last summer we got some work done on the outside of the house the guy doing it has another man working with him a qualified blocker layer he tipped around doing work that suited him and did not work full time, was going nowhere near a building site, I know a chippe like that as well, not everyone has to work pedal to the floor. There is an endless amount of small local jobs for construction workers who don't want to work full-time.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

In a time of housing shortage, you are well down the lsit of preferred candidates for any tenancy. A lazy middle aged loner is not attractive as a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bloody hell, that’s a bit strong. The man doesn’t want to, nor need to apparently, work full time. The issue is lack of rental accommodation, not that he doesn’t want to pay rent.

Why not sell the property you have and buy in a location that you would prefer to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Have you reached out on Airbnb to some home owners and asked them would they rent you for long period? You may find someone who would. Kerry for example springs in my mind. Or join FB pages for that location and ask there.

Living the life

I thought about it before but it is registered as let out so the government will take a massive chunk of the profit.

A lazy middle aged loner is not attractive as a tenant.

I have no idea why you decided to add that bit into the post but sure fúck you, you fúcking cúnt.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement