Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Driveway in front garden - Planning Permission Dublin

Options
  • 07-02-2023 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I recently bought a house in Dublin and was planning to install the driveway in the front garden. Was researching the board and Dublin City website and I'm bit confused about the planning permissions for the new driveways. On Dublin city website in vehicular dishing section it saying you need to have an planning permission first for driveway before applying for dishing , but saw also post here that planning permission is not always needed.

If any one gone with the process of getting new driveway and know what is the best way to go about it? Do I need a architect first make driveway plans (will architect do a small job like driveway?) and then applying for planning permission or do companies doing driveways offer help with getting all the necessary permissions and plans?

Any information's and inputs will be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

When you say a new driveway do you mean forming a new vehicular entrance, or widening an existing vehicular entrance, to the boundary wall/street?

Planning permission is not required for the driveway itself, but it is required for a new or altered vehicular entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AdammWis

Hi,

Thank you for replaying.

It will be a new vehicular entrance. There is no vehicular access at all, only a pedestrian gate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

100% Planning permission required unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5 user52questionnaire

Hi,

how do you go about getting pp for this. Been onto the council a lot and no one seems to have a direct answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Are there plenty of driveways on your road? If so you should get it no problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Prepare drawings.

newspaper ad.

maps.

Site notice.

Lodge for planning.

If you can’t do any of the above, engage an arch/tech/draughtsperson etc

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AidanParkes

it seems to me that if the track you plan to make goes beyond your territory, you need to get permission

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 user52questionnaire

Rathgar. I was told that due to the fact I’ve lived in the house so long I just need a letter of permission to go ahead and do it myself? There’s no wall or anything that needs knocking. Just the kerb which I will get onto road maintenance about. Is this true ?

also if I get an architect/engineer to do the process for me how much am I looking at? Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,041 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is the house still registered to the Council?

Length of tenure has nothing to do with planning.

Get some cement and make a little ramp. If you live on a council estate none of your neighbours will grass you up

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Basically, to comes down to this.

Doing the kind of work you are proposing is specifically non-exempt, therefore it requires planning permission by default, if the road is more than 4m wide.

Don't mind any old wives tales or pub talk about length of tenure, or letters of permission from the neighbours aunty and all the rest.

You need planning permission. /thread.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Can I ask if PP is needed to move the opening in the garden wall?

There is a driveway and garden walls that were in the house from the builder and the kerb is dished. We dont like the driveway being at one side of the garden and would prefer it in the middle so would like to reconfigure the walls then reinstate the gates (we put up the gates). Thanks for any info.

Advertisement