Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss in lawn advice needed.

Options
  • 07-02-2023 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, just looking for some advice. In our new build house 3 years now and our lawn already has loads of patches of moss and creeping buttercup taking over.

What is my best course of action?

Should I hire a scarifier, spray off weeds and moss, and then resow with seed?

Or should I just buy an All In One feed, weed and moss killer?

Any advice welcome!

Best Answers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is the lawn shaded/badly drained? the two options you mention above are short term fixes, and as you mention new build, i suspect an issue you might be facing is a thin layer of topsoil over compacted subsoil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not my field (hah!) of expertise, but having the lawn aerated annually may help, to assist drainage. others here will be in a better position to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If its not too large an area get out every day with a garden fork and do 10-15 minute sticking the fork in as deep and you can then pulling it out. Start randomly and do a few holes all over the garden. If after doing this you can't get the fork in for rubble a few inches down then you might need to dig out and replace the topsoil. If the fork goes in easily then be systematic and do a little at a time putting the fork in every 6inches to a foot.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 David_Doyle

Ah thanks for your reply. I'd say you could be right. Poor soil and bad drainage.

Is there a fix for it? Would I have to replace with proper topsoil?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

Newbuilds always have compacted soil in garden from heavy machinery and all the construction rubble. Aerate and top up with sand and compost. You could install drain but its a bit of work and cost. Alternatively accept the moss as part of the lawn :) Moss killer is waste of time, money and bad for environment.

Personally I believe lawn is waste of space in small garden especially if you have community space but those are the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Moss grows in Ireland on good soil, on poor soil, in the sun, in the shade, on wet soil, on dry soil.

Unless you are prepared to put in a huge amount of effort, your best course of action is to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

Advertisement