Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the obstacle against downing illegally flown drones?

Options

Comments

• All stages are critical, an overshoot with a catastrophic engine failure which debris penetrating cabin and fire could be disastrous. Cockpit window penetration could be equally disastrous. Take-off parameters are calculated using the FSM (computer) where the variables of wind vector, runway heading, available runway length, pressure altitude, loading, etc produce the key speeds in the take-off runs. V1 is the bug where decision is made to either continue with take-off run or abort and apply brakes such that aircraft is brought safely to a halt within remaining runway. V2 is the bug where aircraft has a capacity to be one safely airborne. Straight after is VR where back pressure on control is applied to climb out. Even if one engine fails after V1 the take-off is continued as aircraft gas the capacity to continue on remains I g engine power and would otherwise not be able to stop within remaining runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Losing an engine through ingesting a drone, is going to a bigger issue on take off for obvious reasons. But at the same time hitting anything in an aircraft is very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It'd be nice in all of this to get an actual photo of one of the drones, otherwise this will turn into another Gatwick.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Considering they are usually smaller than a shoebox and silhouetted against a grey sky, thats going to be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Disruption again this evening

• Advertisement

Seem like its a problem thats not going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

They really need to invest in some anti drone technology. It’s getting silly at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭davebuck

Our minister for transport will be on the media tomorrow quoting more meetings and not a simple issue to resolve, just as well their pay is not based on performance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I was on a flight waiting to land this evening, we had to circle for about 20 minutes due to drone activity.

Personally I don't think it is a simple issue to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

Heathrow has anti drone technology, and it works wonders. Dublin, and the government need to sort it out. There are options… it’s just up to the government/ DAA to research and invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

• He’s quite right. Approved legalised Technology is the only solution. Disgruntled blow-ins to Swords etc are a major part of problem. Of an aircraft crashed upon them (destroying house but all survivors) because of this activity it would be nemesis.

Went searching for recent London UK drone incidents and can't find any. I wonder are they suppressing the reporting of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As they have the tech to bring down any illegal drones and anyone thinking about trying to fly a drone knows this, plus the potential for lengthy prison stays then why would there be a need to "suppress reporting of them?"

If that's the case then they're playing a very dangerous game, I hope the Gardai get extra resources to track down these psychopaths..

With the potential of massive loss of life as well as the closure of vital national infrastructure it makes you wonder why Eamonn Ryan is sitting on his hands doing nothing about this...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Tippman24

All Eamonn Ryan wants to do is to announce the closure of Dublin Airport and its conversion to a giant cycle path. Buildings to be converted to hostels for refugees.

Yet himself and his merry group of environmentally friendly Greens are jetting off around the world this coming St. Patrick's week, generating 11 tonnes of Greenhouse gasses, but it's fine cos the Irish taxpayer will offset all the pollution by paying more taxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Michael O'Leary gave Ryan some roasting on Morning Ireland. Worth a listen for comedic value alone.

I thought this was good: "If there was a cycle lane blocked in Ranelagh, Ryan would be all over it..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

What better way to reduce the carbon footprint, drones disrupting flights. Now if Ryanair would just refuse to fly into and out of Dublin, bingo, a Green Party dream come true. Nothing will be done about this, like so many other issues…….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

And then when they jam them

They'll evolve and have anti-jamming technology

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It'll be some craic if Biden's plane was forced to circle on his upcoming visit. Red faces all round.

Doesn't matter if some 'little peoples' travel plans are affects, shur twill be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Long prison sentences is the obvious deterrent

Might only catch the 1% but the risk of a checkpoint works similarly

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭plasterman

Is there anything actually known about these drones save for the one person apprehended so far?

I haven't heard any specifics. The restriction is 5 kilometres. How far away can DAA's detection system see the drones? Is there any chance this is due to increased surveillance detecting drones that have been flying in a similar fashion for years and not necessarily due to an increase in drone activity? Or is it definitely the case that some people are deliberately breaching the airport perimeter with this outcome in mind?

It's a problem either way but the latter case is a huge safety threat requiring immediate action whereas the former requires further analysis to see if there is actually a real safety risk. A technical breach of the 5km limit is still a problem but mainly for the culprit who'll be caught doing it and it's not necessarily a safety threat. I expect it is the latter I'm just curious due to the lack of details provided.

As to the identity of the drone operators I expect it's just idiots who think it's great fun to disrupt an airport, if it's deliberate. I doubt if it's climate activists or noise protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Don’t always agree with MOL but he’s right.

Arrest, convict and sentence… set someone up with an appropriate sentence . If it’s a little 23 year old geek, no priors, so be it…This is too dangerous just to have the government and associated organisations just pay the problem occasional lip service, via signs, advertising and other media.

gloves need to be taken off. These geek morons need sorting out. No regard, or respect is being paid towards the flying public, or their safety, so any volume of respect enabled to them can be forgotten about.

they know the rules, know what they are at, they know the risks, dangers, facilitate them to forfeit their freedoms if they don’t facilitate respect the safety of others…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Knowing our judiciary, probably get a telling off not to be naughty again.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Last week ATC reported that the drone was flying past the tower windows so I'd tend to believe it's a deliberate attempt to interfere with the airport operation. Surely after an aircraft being forced into declaring a fuel emergency yesterday they'll have to take more action than simply reminding people that it's illegal to fly within 5km of the airport. Safety is being compromised by this criminal and yesterday's fuel MAYDAY just highlights the level of risk this criminal is exposing the flying public to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

O'Leary is right. Its simply a case of funding anti drone technology and doing it now.

I said on this thread about a month ago and it's as clear as day. Theres simply politics in the background over who pays for it.

The Daa want the govt to pay and the department want the Daa to pay from their own funds. Its a clear as day.

Rte reporting the DAA write to govt seeking funding and have received no response.

The rest, strong words, talking about punishment is pure fluff. If the drone system was in, it'd nip the issue in the bud and the legislation would almost be irrelevant.

Theres two before the courts for flying drones over the airport. Nothing to stop them continuing, copycat incidents or a group of irritated residents doing it on rotation every week, so it's all pretty pointless. Legislation can't account for human behaviour and disregard.

This nonsense of discussing it and wasting time has to stop. Anti drone technology, done.

Advertisement