Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the obstacle against downing illegally flown drones?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 padraig47

eamonn Ryan is a spoofer. He is not ministerial material. MOL is bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Correct.

We are into negligence and/or incompetence territory at this stage.

Having the controlled airspace of our major Airports free from illegal obstruction, is as vital for the economy and the image of the State among investors, as would be mains water supply, power supply with plenty of redundancy and reliable broadband.

And recent Governments in general and this Minister in particular, have a pretty poor record in securing all of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

1000% one of the least credible humans to be elected to public office. Anywhere..

More of these fûcking drone dweebs and nerds, think it’s ok to use these drones in a dangerous and illegal manner, ie. tonight, fly it into United Park in Drogheda with a few thousand spectators, players and officials….this has happened multiple times just there …

the FAI now have a ‘Drone Interference Protocol’ which I’m sure the little dweebs are delighted about, the twerps get.. attention, recognition and influence in a sports event. ie. them stopping it and having people sit down to develop a protocol….which involves players leaving the field of play.

Going to be a thing where I’d say people will invest in affordable anti drone tech… too many of these useless as fûck geeks out there with nothing better to do then to court attention, by disrupting and endangering people…flying and in public spaces.

• Wait til personal electric VTOL aircraft become affordable, there will be any number of idiots flying them unless they are strictly regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I doubt very much that it's simple , welding a a high powered jamming device , at the perimeter of the busiest airport in the land could not be simple , realistically if the DAA wanted it sorted immediately then they'd be a long way down that route ...

I'd rather a minister or an airline boss with feic all knowledge of drones and their exclusion from certain areas to keep stum

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I think the best punishment for the drone operators is a lifetime ban from every commercial airline. That’s keep them grounded. However as I said nothing will be done a case of here too short and there too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

What are the US doing re drones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

on the recent disruption - many groups are absolutely furious with dublin airport for various reasons - my guess is this isn’t going away any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Simplistic stuff. There is no issue with aviation once it cleans up and is carbon neutral.

Until then, of course the greens will be sceptical of the “aero sexual” community who seem to just want to see the “big birds” fly regardless of rocketing cO2 levels not seen in literally millions of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Easy solution

Ryanair and any other airline that had to divert aircraft simply sue any drone operator caught.

All you need is a couple of cases, a large headline cash figure and MOL swearing that he will collect from the person at some point even if it means taking any inheritance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 CharlieDickens

Was there another incident ?

• With Eamon Ryan at the helm we can be sure Dublin Airport won’t function well. He’s already delighted at lack of further parking, if he could cancel the planes flying that would be the ultimate goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,520 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

In fairness, his tenure as minister for transport has been a disaster .. completely out of his depth with such a diverse and imperative portfolio…. Shît decision making by MM & Leo… one wonders was Ryan and the Greens being set up to fail…. That’s no good for the Irish taxpayer …I’d say it’s a melt for Ryan too, his own crowd won’t want him enabling activities that promote air travel, but he can’t be seen to decry it either…

hes been none to proactive on this drone stuff… almost wonder if he’s enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The Italians are banning short haul flights

Is that true about ryan getting a lift and cycling through the dail gates !

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's no problem banning short haul flights if you have a decent high-speed rail system.

We instead subsidise flights to Kerry (which has a mainline rail line going right past the airport, but a slow service) and Donegal which has no rail and very poor road links.

There was a small private airstrip built near Clifden which has never been used, I wonder if its backers had been hoping to get a PSO route?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That mentions - safely landing the drones , not frying their electronics and just crashing them ,

Would the anti-drone device need to be between the drone and its operator ?

Certain devices can also locate the position of the operator ( to what accuracy i dont know , ) but i doubt that there'll be a garda on hand to go rushing to the general area looking for a guy who might have a drone controller ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Would the anti-drone device need to be between the drone and its operator ?

Not if it's powerful enough to drown out the operator's transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That was built by the state, with the intention of flights to Inishboffin (which also got a strip built). They were built in ~2011, the proposal for flights ended with the financial crash and is very unlikely to come back. Aer Arran Islands have been paid to keep the runways in usable condition, at least in the past - not sure about now.

70s plans that lead to Donegal and Kerry airports being built included two more airports in Donegal, one out towards Killybegs and one at Letterkenny, the Letterkenny plans only died in the 00s.

Donegal Airport was there for nearly 20 years before it actually got the PSO flights to Dublin; it had commercial UK flights for over a decade before.

For some reason I always thought it was some businessman's folly, no, just the usual marriage of Eamon O'Cuiv, taxpayers' money, a wall, and zero return (although no doubt some fools gave him a vote over it).

Advertisement