Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB International Money Transfer - receivers address wrong but other details correct

• 08-02-2023 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I am a new customer to AIB and I recently did an international money transfer to a bank in the US for payment to a person. (Quite a large amount). I did the transfer after 5pm last Friday - the transaction showed complete on Monday which was a bank holiday and the money was gone from the account. I know it can take up to 4 business days to arrive in the recipients account. However I put the Receivers address wrong in the online form - but the Swift Code (BIC Code), Account Number and Receivers Bank Code and the persons name are accurate, which is what AIB call it (I presume this means Routing Code for US banks) are correct. Should I be worried that the money will just disappear or should it arrive? Also can AIB claw back money if it somehow "disappears" somewhere? Little bit worried

Answers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The transaction was executed as instructed by you and once the transaction as been executed, AIB is not possible for them to recall it.

What happens next will depend on the receiving bank, some US banks will simply go with the account number, where as others use address validation in their MLA checks. If the money does not arrive in the recipients account will have done one of two things - returned it to AIB or hold it in a suspense account for further investigation.

There is nothing AIB can do unless the money is returned so it is best to have the recipient contact their bank and explain the problem. That way their bank may be on the look out for the transaction.

Advertisement