Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial arts for kids?

Options
  • 08-02-2023 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 10-year-old son says he "wants to learn karate" - so anyone got any recommendations about where to start?

He's never shown an interest before, even to the extent of watching it on YouTube or playing martial-arts style games, so I'm not sure how serious he is about it. If there's anywhere that's good with novices and helping them to find out if they're really interested, that would be the ideal sort of place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

Posted twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Try taking him out of it……there is enough violence in society

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

There is a class with Master John Dunne in the Butler community centre Tuesday and Thursday evenings-My kids went to him a few years back when he ran classes out in the hall in St Marys Ballygunner-I found him brilliant in his approach to training and his way with the kids/students.The page is on Facebook so you should look him up..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Would taekwondo do?

The G-Force taekwondo guys are great. Family run dojo, very welcoming and a good education.

For something a little different I'd highly recommend Waterford Muay Thai, John and the coaches there are brilliant.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aro13

+1 For Waterford Muay Thai. The lads are fantastic and have a great gym with years of experience

Some other options also would be;

Jiujitsu ( Ganbaru Jiujitsu , Checkmat waterford ,Black eagle dojo)

Hapkido ( Black Eagle dojo )

Kickboxing ( Pat Rockett , Billy O Sullivan , Phoenix )

Waterford has plenty of martial arts available luckily . If you have the time its worth trying out a few until your son finds one that he enjoys. Most places will offer a free trial class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement