Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Nicola Bulley, Lancashire UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Search extended to the coast - seems like they’re still persisting with the theory she fell into the river while not alerting the public to any other theories they may have, if any…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Surely if they fired an object similar to a body with a tracker attached into the river they would learn a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Don't get the wonder about the phone on the bench. She was on a teams call. If I was on a teams call sitting on a bench there's every chance I'd do the same and leave it beside me.

• I’m wondering if there is a police/rescue device somewhere in UK to simulate a body in water, would be very useful in many searches and investigations. A body re-floats itself after decomposition has advanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I can see your idea. But I think for it to work - you'd need something that is exactly her weight and size, with the same level of float, going in at the correct place (which is obviously an important unknown) and under the same conditions (temperature, wind, water height of the river) that applied at the time. So I'm really not sure it would serve a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jucko

ive a feeling she'll be found in sea. Sometimes the obvious is the obvious for a reason.

• The sooner the poor woman is found the better.

I read on her friends’ timeline report that the Springer Spaniel Willow was discovered in an agitated state, but dry.

Whoever nay or may not be in any way answerable, I have a feeling at least some party is covering something up for some reason. May not be directly in relation to her death, but someone who maybe didn’t want to be linked to the situation or location at x time for some reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I'm almost sure she's in the water and eventually will be found.

The simplest explanation is often the most likely one.

Being snatched just makes no sense, it's not like she could be bundled into a car.

She was definitely at the bench. Her dog and the harness was there, her phone was there. If someone snatched or attacked her, they weren't going to go to the bench and leave things there potentially leaving fingerprints. The dog wouldn't have stayed there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

i sometimes wash otherwise light fleeces in the bath. When saturated, they weigh an absolute ton and I can barely lift them out of the bath. If she accidentally fell in, her winter clothes could really have weighed her down.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

And the search has already moved to the coast which is exactly what I said yesterday.

People put way too much stock in the sonar fella and just took what he said as gospel. Frankly, some of the theories from people read like something from an ITV drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes but it was a work day for Nicola. Obviously I don’t know her work pattern but I would have thought that normally she would go home to work as soon as she could but maybe not.

Also, people get into a panic if their phone isn’t within sight or they briefly can’t locate it. Most people go nowhere without it, apart from the fact that they’re expensive so people don’t leave them lying around asking to be stolen. Seeing a phone on a bench isn’t comparable to seeing an umbrella or a pair of gloves, it isn’t normal and then a dog wandering around as well. It would definitely register with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hadn't looked at Google maps till today, looking at the lenght of the river, the amount of sharp bends, the weir and the apparent slow moving nature of the river I find it hard to believe she made it all the way to the sea. If she did end up in the river, I'd say its more likely she was missed along the edges somewhere.

I don't recall any great rain over the last fortnight either, has the river been at normal levels recently or was it flowing faster than normal on the day she went missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Was looking at the map as well. Think I counted 16 or 18 bends in the river down to the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

She is a fit individual - and considering there were a number of dog walkers in the area, whatever about an attack on her, to take someone away against their will, out of these surroundings, without being spotted, sounds near impossible.

I’ve seen mixed reports on the area of river she’s alleged to have fallen- from 18 feet deep to a few feet- from fast flowing to calm.

When she went missing, my understanding is that the river close to where her belongings were found was indeed fast flowing and deep.

As a result, I’d be looking down-river at this point- in fact IMHO, that search should have taken place almost at the start-I see the police are only now starting to search the bay which leads out into the sea- possibly too little too late if this is the case.

I hope she’s found safe but the river does appear to hold the answer.

As for people suspecting the partner earlier on, I can see how this happened- the family (her parents and sister) made a press statement and interview - no sight or mention of the partner-

I believe this led to huge speculation of the partner soon after. I don’t know why they couldn’t have done a joint interview as I think that would have saved a lot of needless speculation that was predictable would happen (not saying such speculation is right, only that it was predictable).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They family paid privatley for the sonar search crew.

My understanding is that the search company provided their services for free.

But they seem to be very much of the belief she didn't kill herself and that she's not in the water.

They also going on interviews seem to be letting out a lot of frustration around the police continuing to focus on that theory.

The police publicly ruled out any other option. The family were not convinced that she somehow killed herself or fell in to the water.

Today's report of a dodgy looking red van in the area could be a lead that the police should have discovered and followed up almost two weeks ago. Now, maybe they did but the insistence that she is in the water just seems unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Xander10

The services of the private guy(a bit of a self serving publicity seeker, if you ask me) were provided for free.

You do realise the police had already searched that stretch of water with there own Sonar Side Scanner? Private guy suggesting his scanner might be better than the police one.

The family have merely said that the river shouldn't be the only angle explored. And I'm sure the Police have kept an open mind but based of all the evidence, that only they have, they believe, entering the water is the most probably cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Ah, Sorry when I read hired privatley I assumed at a cost .

I realise the police had searched already. Hence why I felt it was to prove a negative.

I've no dog in the race here. I'm just stating what I'm getting from some of the interviews I've watched is some frustrations and the feeling that the friends and family seem fairly convinced she didn't commit suicide or drown.

(I'm not agreeing or disagreeing I'm just pointing out what I'm getting from it)

I'm not trying to generate some sinister conspiracy theory.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I realise the police had searched already. Hence why I felt it was to prove a negative.

Dunno if it was to prove a negative or more that the police needed a kick in the arse because of their apparent refusal to consider other scenarios other than "shes in the river"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Holding significant things back for operational reasons seems a little unlikely in this case ( although let’s face it, they would never tell the public everything anyway) - stating categorically that it was a drowning of some kind and effectively scaling down the operation would only bring public and family back lash which of course has happened, were it not true.

Usually UK police tend to say things like “we’re keeping an open mind” or “pursuing a number of lines of enquiry” or most telling “urging people to get in contact no matter how trivial you think it is” if they feel there’s something untoward or if they’re not certain what happened.

It would be irresponsible of them to claim it was a simple drowning if they knew otherwise, especially if it involved an attacker-as that would mean they’re stating it’s safe to walk that stretch which it may not be.

I don’t know when they started to search the Bay Area but I believe it was only this week which seems very late to me, especially if the river was fast flowing at the time of disappearance. The UK police in general aren’t stupid but they do occasionally make a complete mess of things- I hope this isn’t one of those instances

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

This case reminds me alot of Libby Squire and the Humber river.

It was months before he body was found ...granted Humber river alot bigger.

It's one of those where it feels every possible explanation has problems or is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus either Peter Faulding is going to get a whopping new book deal or he will never work again. He is not holding back.

Nicola's partner has given an interview with Channel 5 which will air later.

I've no doubt Peter Faulding is not involved for the goodness of his health.

But has he really said anything that controversial ?

He seems to have a ton of experience in this area and his opinions should be listened to.

As the police work with him a lot I assume they trust him also. He's hired directly by the familiy in this case he's not under NDA which I imagine changes what he can say compared to most cases he works on.

From her partner

"Personally, I am 100 per cent convinced it’s not the river, that’s my opinion.”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ah no, if it turns out to be an accidental drowning his reputation is in absolute tatters, I know he has been careful at times to quietly cover himself.

But he has made it abundantly clear what he thinks happened.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread closed

There has been a lot of totally inappropriate and unacceptable speculation on this thread that will be deleted

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A body has been found and I think it's a fair assumption this it is Nicola Bulley although no formal identification has yet been undertaken

I am re-opening the thread, but want to make it clear that there is to be no discussion of how she died. The police made a statement early in the investigation but a formal inquest will determine the actual cause of death

I am re-opening the thread on the back of a request of a poster as I think there are issues surrounding the way the police investigated this that warrant discussion, but it is not a case of throwing mud at the police. There will be various investigations which will in all likelihood reveal information that the general public have not been privy to to date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭standardg60

The police had information that was not privy to the public, hence why they they always believed she had entered the water. It was the furore created by people on social media that forced them to release it, which is a shameful indictment of the age we live in.

They knew all along what happened and were trying to protect the privacy of those affected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement