Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet speeds in the countryside

Options
  • 08-02-2023 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I got three 5G installed, what do folks think of these speeds as I have to decide whether to keep it or not. The installer said it was good but he would say that as they are selling me it. I'm in west Clare and was told that the internet has always been slow around here

Comments

That's plenty for a family with any devices running together. What's the wireless range like, can you go far outside the house before losing signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Just checked mine there, 19.2 and 11.4, wireless from a local mast. Yours seems excellent but i know feck all about that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

i dont know to be honest but its all around the house. The installer bolted on a receiver to the gable of the house and a router box connected to it in the kitchen. I use have to be holding the phone to the window before to get internet

edit

I checked the wifi and it works up to about 20meters from the house

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

That’s very good. I’m working off about 20mm but got confirmed this week that the national Broad band is now live in my area so can order that at long last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yeah that's very good, albeit slow enough for 5G. Your location would be the hinderence there though

That's mine via Vodafone wired to the house. That supports 2 of us working from home, multiple other things running on the wifi including our TV/streaming stuff.

• Advertisement

I think it's ok, I notice youtube videos all are in HD now too. I can't find anyone else with this 5g as it seems to be new enough. All I'm afraid of is being tied in for 2 years and they cut the service down after 2 months.

I tested it againt o see was it still ok and its at

And

another installer from 3 arrived at the house today going to install the equipment, he travelled from Mullingar this morning, he wasn't too pleased that it was already done, I wouldn't blame him either. All I could do was offer him a cup of tae for his trouble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Those are fantastic speeds, just did a speedtest on mine today and it is a fraction of that, looking into a 4G antenna

I had the 4g up till now. It was grand till about last December and then it went to pure shite for some unknown reason and I was back to holding the phone against the window for a signal

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

19 and 14 - today. Very variable, and little to no signal in some parts of the house. Waiting for fibre from NBI but not due till next year, though I did see a large bundle of black cable? trunking? something, on a telegraph pole nearby yesterday. Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

4g three PAYG E20 No limit. Very happy with this.

• Advertisement

My hands were tied. I had two options which was to buy the equipment myself and pay a lad to install it then keep on the €20 topup per month or sign up to three for 24 months broadband and they supply and install. The 24 month contract with first 3 months free is going to cost €820 by the end of the contract. To buy the equipment and pay a lad to install, then pay for the monthly topup and it worked out costing more. Plus three could always pull the plug on the unlimited data if they want.

So as long as the connection remains then I'm happy. I can't be without internet as I've calving cameras that I rely on being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm just after doing a broadband speed test. My house is located less than 4 miles by road to the Departure lounge/drop off point at Dublin Airport and probably a mile or more less as the crow flies. I think many of ye maybe surprised by the result.

Advertisement