Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking calories for Body Recomp

Options
  • 08-02-2023 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm doing a body recomp which involves eating at a slight calorie deficit and I'm a little confused. I've put my stats into a TDEE and Macro calculator and it says my maintenance calories is around 2500, I'm planning on eating 2350 per day. My question is the point of body recomp is to allow you to build muscle while burning off some fat at the same time especially for newbies, how do I track my weight consistently and accurately to make sure I'm losing fat? If I lose some fat and gain some muscle it wont reflect in the scales. Also how do I know for sure that 2350 is a slight deficit? I know them calculators are a rough estimate. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My question is the point of body recomp is to allow you to build muscle while burning off some fat at the same time especially for newbies

It's possible. But it can be very difficult to pull off. Most likely the deficit limits the ability to build muscle.

Meal and training timing are likely more important here than on a straight cut or bulk.

how do I track my weight consistently and accurately to make sure I'm losing fat?

You can't track weight as you aren't trying to change weight. You are trying to change BF%. Whixh is hard to measure.

So options would be measurements, body fat scans, skin folds.

Bioimpedance is less accurate. But a lot of readings on a downward trend is likely a little useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Thanks for reply. I've ordered a bodyfat calipers off Amazon so hopefully that will help me keep track.

I'm more so skinny fat than anything else, stomach and love handles carrying a bit of flab. I'm scared if I lose too much weight to lean out I might be too skinny but that extra flab has always bothered me. Plus I'm going on holidays in 7 months so I want to be in good shape.

I've never really stayed consistently working out with good nutrition so hopefully I could have some decent newbie gains while losing some bf%.

My diet right now is high protein about 200g per day, about 100g or less of Fats and the rest carbs until I hit 2350 cals for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

You prob give yourself the best chance to do this recomp thing by eating very well (esp. a lot of protein) and keeping the cal deficit very minimal. Going slow is the way to ensure quality changes in body comp.

You also want to be training v hard with a serious hypertrophy focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Based on thyroid performance, the human body can burn more or less calories. Exercise will improve thyroid function & increase metabolic rate. In conclusion, you don't have to reduce food intake. With healthy balance diet, regular exercise and muscle growth human body upregulate energy requirements, and you will find yourself in caloric deficit.

But I would suggest is one day water fast per week. It will help to recycle damaged proteins, improve muscle growth and overall good mood for the rest of the week.

Advertisement