Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a working securewatch panel with something with more user functionality/monitoring

Options
  • 08-02-2023 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

I have what appears to be a Securewatch panel (going by a sticker on the metal box). I made an enquiry about this some time ago, but as Ive only moved recently, I'd like to proceed with something. I was interested in a Siemens setup, but User functionality and panels available may be different now. I'd prefer something I can have some control over using an App and my phone, So possibly an option to have GSM available as the broadband wifi speed isn't great here (hardwiring network cable is planned, but its not present now).

As the alarm is functional, I'd prefer something that isn't going to require changing sensors for something propriety (although I think the principles of sensors are likely the same) and for the most part I want to keep the alarm as hardwired. If possible, I'd like something that could be integrated with an electric gate, I have a fob now, but would prefer phone access. That is something that worked for the previous owner, and I'd get that restored as I know the keypad panel is functional and was for the former owner (they had it connected with their landline and I understand mobiles through the panel at gate), but as mentioned broadband & wifi speed is limited).

I'd be interested in something that could be integrated into using cameras in the future but its not a definite, so I wouldnt rule out a seperate system for that, which may mean better options to have that seperate?

What panels are my options?

Edit, I'm not a fan of wireless generally, but it may be an option for some things as I have power in a shed where getting alarm wire out to would not be easy. Generally not anything that I'm going to have to delete/re-set up in terms of wifi, I know its not in the same league as home security alarm systems, but I had a Ring doorbell camera, (while it was great for just putting on and having some visibility when not present, it had to be tinkered with from time to time resetting up wifi or not working seemingly due to wifi, also features/useability/functionality seemed to change with updates and it would always seem to not work or lag right at the worst moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I've had 2 homes converted to HKC and in both cases a skilled electrician was able to use all the old window & door sensors that were wired there for other alarm systems. I have the GSM, the app is great, I really recommend it.

If anything needs to be connected extra (I had one door where the cable was straight up cut off and pulled out the wall) you can use wireless sensors instead.

Only drawback is it has an up front cost, panel, GSM could cost ya something about 400 eur total. The ongoing cost is minimal, I pay54eur annum to service that GSM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Thanks, Definitely a completely new panel needed,so I know there will be an upfront cost for hardware alone, this system is HKC (somewhat limited keypad/features but it is old), so maybe an upgrade will be more straightforward, can I ask, what specific system you have? Do you know if can it integrate with some kind of output/signal to an electric gate? (I may have to do that separate), The gate keypad is GSM so not sure if its linkable or maybe it even has its own app, I'll have to look up the brand from that. €54 seems very reasonable for annual monitoring, is that completely self monitored? I would prefer get something that is not too old, but tested so not brand new. Can that App be integrated with cameras do you know? ie with or without additional hardware?

edit, should have mentioned, not sure whether self monitored or fully monitored is the way to go but I'd like the option to be able to have the system upgrade-able to fully monitored, although I may start out fully monitored depending on cost. My understanding is the broadband provider the previous owner had (Imagine) is better for speeds (and possibly other functionality reasons),but I had to setup a temporary Vodafone SIM based broadband while moving and am using that account instead of needlessly running two accounts at the same time, unless the vodafone account just doesnt have the speed to be useable ( I plan to try hardwire some network cables to try improve that as the wifi of this vodafone setup can be poor).

It is fully self monitored, whenever there was an incident I get a text, app sends notification also (multiple users can have the app and receive these alerts) it has a log so it tells you what happened. For example power outage will tell you that it's having a power fault, if an incident occurs it will tell you what, where, when. Had a ball once hit off a window, but could see the shock sensor activated but no PIR in same room didn't. It's quite clever in that it runs off your elecricity and wifi, but if either of those die it has it's own battery that can last days, and GSM that ensures you're updated on what is happening and can maintain access.

I do not have a gate or cameras, I'm aware HKC do have their own cameras you can get hooked to it. My experience is a little limited, I'm a customer and thought I'd share because I had a very pleasant experience with this one, but I'm not a security whizz or anything. If I were you I'd search up HKC and some security companies get them to show you around. For reference for a simple enough home installation (for installation only) I paid about 300ish each time and it was a 1 full day job (hooking up existing sensors, panel, battery, siren, gsm, configuration) I'm sure they will charge you more if you go with the big names but don't let them swindle you :)

And I've seen a HKC connected to doors, there is an outputs section of the app that can open them remotely.

Ok, it's very informative, thanks for the replies, if you happen to know the panel type that would be great, I searched HKC online and all they showed was a Quantum 70 wireless quantum but Im interested in hardwiring mine, part as I prefer it that way and part as I have a wired setup existing. Thanks for the replies.

I have the hybrid securewave , touch panel, like this one:

• Advertisement

Ive been recommended a HKC 10270 as an option to go for, other Alarm Ive been reading about is an SPC 4320,

While I'd like to be able to add in some home automation Im not sure if the SPC panel can do that or if it has too many features that I might not use in the end anyway, so a straight swap/upgrade to a HKC may be better. Can the SPC panel be tied into home automation or inputs/outputs? gate access control? Can the home user access/utilise these, ie by having access to making changes in a panel installed by a certified installer?

Edit, Im leaning towards the HKC for ease of replacement with existing HKC system, familiarity of installers? , looks like reasonable monitoring cost, and an App, even though looking at posts go back years for the SPC4320 it seems to also still be available/sold, not sure if my contact/shock sensors are compatible (Im guessing maybe). Id like to get something soon, so dont want to be held up if a panel isnt available, but I want to make sure what Im putting money into now has the features that are the best for what I want it for for the next 10 years and not be obsolete or limited in a few years.

Just looking up the wifi-gsm option with it, it looks like it is a combined wifi-gsm card and that it can use either as a means to communicate? I have poor wifi speeds so was leaning towards a GSM option, although I am going to look into seeing if I can help the broadband speeds with an antenna/switch/hardwiring network cables, but having both on one card could be beneficial, do you go through much credit. On reviewing features, it appears the monitoring polls the alarm, I interpret that as meaning it costs what the data use for the polling is on the SIM service providers network? Did you use the linked company, if its possible and you can PM what it cost, Ive tried ringing a few installers, but no answer yet. Even though the current Alarm works, the remote functionality is zero, I dont know if it is going off if it was triggered (my dog set it off once), and I'd like to get some other things done like sort my gate access sorted so Im not relying on a Fob only.

I'll pm you details for one professional that did it for me before and store where I got the parts.

Advertisement