Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Ireland v France Match Thread, Sat 11th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: RTÉ2, ITV, France2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

13 point victory with quite a few points left behind. I think we fairly demolished them alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

We need to improve our drives for the try line. We were held up too many times - we were far too high and made it far too easy for defender to get under us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭blackcard

*Scrum went well today

*Ross Byrne had another capable performance

*Tom O'Toole prominent in the loose*

*Doris brilliant

*van der Flier put in an energy sapping performance

*Kelleher back

*We missed a lot of tackles

*We weren't clinical from 5 yards out and got held up over the line

*We deservedly beat the number 2 side in the world with a bonus point victory

I thought it was brilliant from Baille to get under Porter. Murray’s one, Dupont held up his momentum and he was isolated. They are very fine margins. It’s a bit like the first NZ game when you are manufacturing those opportunities, it’s a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

The most positive aspect of this win for me, was that our bench did incredibly well. We were down to our 3rd or 4th choice players in some positions and still hugely competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Game was still in the balance on seventy minutes.

Bit bombastic to declare France as having been demolished.

Yes. The squad depth is exceptional. The quality doesn't fall off a cliff with the bench being emptied.

The speed at which Ireland turn defence into attack is a joy. It's an emotional drain for an opposition to both try to break Ireland down while equally ensuring that you can't turn it over as you'll immediately be backpedalling at speed.

Do you think at any point France looked like winning that? In the balance on the Score board yes but that was only down to brilliant defence by France and some generous reffing around red zone penalties when defending too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Had to watch on delay so no forums or social media etc, thought that was an incredible game. The intensity was off the charts. Thought we were magnificent, the players and coaches can be extremely proud of that.

Well given that they proved they could turn loose ball into a credible break on multiple occasions you'd have to have been wary of a sucker punch when 6 points ahead with less than ten minutes on the clock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Speaking of the rankings, they are a bit volatile in rugby. If we had drawn against France they would have overtaken us. Bizarre. If we had been beaten by more than two tries, we would have been overtaken by New Zealand and South Africa and dropped to fourth. Don't know what they were smoking when they came up with that algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

Andrew Porter answered all the detractors !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Not much between the top 4 in the world so the algorithm is probably just reflecting that to be honest.

Suggestions of throwing a potential slam to prepare for a World Cup are absolute madness. We've won three slams ever. The World Cup will look after itself later in the year.

With a 5-0 match points win over France in the bag it will be hard for us not to win the Championship from here. Could probably lose one game and still win it.

The key to the slam will be keeping 15 on the field for the remaining games. If there are no stupid red cards we should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

For all their flair and offloads, France had about 20 minutes of sustained possession and had to settle a drop goal.

Apart from their try, did they ever really threaten our line?

Whereas we got held up three times (if not more) and only Dupont's freakish strength kept Hansen out.

We were great value for the win and tbh the scoreline may have flattered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭maximus15

Of course bbc only highlight an angle that lowes foot was in touch and nothing about english ref chickening out of a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Logan tripping over herself to highlight that point over anything else. Then says Scotland would go top tonight with a BP win, which is wrong. Usual nonsense from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

If Ireland lost by 4 tries to 1 and that score in Paris, we wouldn't be hearing about the game being in the balance.

We lost by far less of a margin last year and some took it as conclusive proof France were the better team...

Enjoy the win, the potential championship and maybe grand slam and let's accept we actually are the best team in the world!

I can’t really think of any occasion that they looked like scoring. Even when they had a good patch. So bar one lucky break where our defence lapsed poorly they never looked like scoring a try. We scored 4 tries to 1. Last year they beat us by six and we were told we were demolished. The scoreboard very much flatters France.

Well I would equally have disagreed with whoever claimed we were demolished last year.

Imagine trying to make that the talking point after THAT game.

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Doris carrying star today are nuts

He really stepped up and took control of the game in the second half. Real leadership.

It's actually the national broadcaster up north like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ross Bryne had an excellent cameo for the last 30 odd minutes. Take a bow.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

That was a seriously impressive performance.

Silly me doubted Farrell and the lads given the absentees. We were down to 3rd and 4th choice players and they all hit their straps and then some. It's an absolute testament to the coaching team and players. Irish Rugby really is in a fantastic place.

I was very nervous before the game but 5 minutes in and I was confident we would win. Some massive performances. Doris and VDF never seem to be off the screen. They are absolutely everywhere, in attack and defence, all of the time.

Doris was all over the French pack. What a player.

I just can't help but smile watching Keenan play. He's like a quicker Ben Smith. He's the complete fullback.

That performance confirms my thoughts that we showed absolutely nothing in the Autumn Internationals. Players were in preseason mode.

I think we can really look forward to the world cup now. We got an awful draw but imagine what the other nations in our side of the draw must be thinking!? Nobody will want to play us in our current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I thought France played into irelands hands a bit. They kicked at goal from pretty much every penalty within 40m, and missed the chance to build maul pressure in the Irish 22. And they did have a few decent mauls further out the pitch, so I'd have been worried about a lineout within 10m of irish line.

It was almost old fashioned from a tactical perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

There was a patch in the second half where I had my doubts. Penaud and Dupont can score tries from anywhere.

Lot's to take away from that.

Most of it has been covered. Sexton once again defied his age with some brilliant running rugby and incidentally Ross Byrne carried well when he came on and generally had a very good cameo (in particular in defence).

Casey similarly, very authoritative and managed the tight exchanges well - wasn't afraid to back himself either and O'Toole also offered great value off the bench.

Some stand out performance across the pack but Bealham acting the pivot shows he can replicate an increasing amount of Furlong's game. Form of his life.

Saw some criticism of the crowd, seems in the absence of something to complain about on the field the gulls turned their attention to rugby supporters. Thought the crowd was plenty vocal and from friends at the game the atmosphere was apparently sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Great squad performance, kicking and fitness. Byrne and Casey were excellent, Doris is ridiculously fit and Porter kept going and going. I thought we’d have more trouble at the scrum with such a weight differential. Lineouts and tackling can be improved. With the win under our belts, I’m pleased about the yellow card. We beat a full French team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Enjoy Trimble and Ferris views on the game, different perspective

Advertisement