Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Ireland v France Match Thread, Sat 11th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: RTÉ2, ITV, France2

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yeah it's often referred to as "earning the right to go wide". You want to tie in as many defenders as possible to then be able to exploit the space created. It's not new.

And it's not just opensides that ar ed looking to pinch the ball these days. I haven't seen the stats but I'd be surprised if VDF was in the top 5 in the Irish team for turnovers won.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’ll have a look for these stats if I get the chance, but I’d be surprised if Beirne, POM and probably Porter and Doris at least weren’t ahead of him tbh.

And I think OP has it backwards anyways. Often, the open side is the quickest forward and strongest tackler. He’s the one who gets off the defensive line to make the tackle. You want the guy arriving 2nd to be your best jackaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

I know this must have been said before now, and if so, apologies for the repetition...

But I've never seen it happen before, where an attacking player with the ball uses an approaching defender (via a hand-off) to take out two more potential tacklers to clear the way to the try line.

Isn't that what Ringrose did here?

This clip needs ten-pin-bowling sound effects....

Post edited by kuang1 on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He even hands him off with the wrong hand (carrys in right, hands off from left)

It's quite incredible really

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Don't have last week stats yet, but yep, in the 6 Nations since Farrell started VDF is down for only 2 turnovers, so way down the list. Unsurprisingly, Beirne leading the way with 17. (Interestinly CJ Stander in 2nd with 12, even tho he's been retired a year and a half now).

But ya, Confirmed exactly what you would suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Enjoyed this, great pick up of Casey’s kick to the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,098 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Only watched a few of this guys videos and have noticed that he finds it hard to praise Ireland. Would that be fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Most of it is tongue in cheek. One of his first videos was 20 minutes on how Murray was the best 9 in the world.

I think he playing up to a meme created by overzealous Irish fans that he wasn't deferential enough to Ireland. I'd say the cause of that is more because he's a Wales fan and we Paddy Patterson Wales.

His videos are great, very entertaining and sufficiently insightful. I actually disagree with him a lot of the time but I think they're great for rugby and I absolutely encourage anyone that wants to pour their creativity into the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I generally don't watch his content because I don't like the banter at all, and he's very preachy sometimes, but I think the biggest flaw is his attributing basically everything that happens to some grand plan. He was convinced Eddie Jones was just hiding the movez for the RWC, and made a whole video about how they were going to win the RWC, but it turned out England were just crap.

However, there are some great details in the Ireland France video that I'd never, ever see. So found that video pretty good.

Post edited by Interested Observer on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I don’t get the anti Irish bit in that video. I thought the analysis was very good. He annoys me with the Sexton thing but some of the insight was excellent. Things that seem matters of luck, seem so well planned out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, he now seems to think France have some masterplan.

I don't generally mind the banter, but he 100% just reinforces his own viewpoints in his analysis rather than actually doing proper analysis (e.g. he **** loves POM for whatever reason).

He's grand and I'm glad that he got the stupid copyright issues sorted but meh.

I certainly didn't accuse him of being anti-Irish. I just wondered if he found it difficult to praise Ireland.

As somebody said, he was all French masterplan but didn't woinder if Ireland had one. If you analysed the faces of French defeat, they didn't look to me like they'd had a good experimental runout. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just picking up on that point about Ireland's game plan, he only obliquely referred to part of it when covering Garry Ringrose's try. He never mentioned the ball in play time which was a curious omission seeing as it was off the scale in comparison to the average ball in play time in the Top 14 or the 6N generally.

I had never watched analysis videos before, and enjoyed seeing stuff I wouldn't be aware of. Never played rugby and it is great to learn stuff. Who else does good ones?

Yet he praised how Ireland had developed a specific defensive plan just for the French. He was pretty much gushing about Irelands attack and the two brilliant tries we scored in each half. Also about how clever we were in nullifying the French kicking game. I didn’t see it as being short of praise for Ireland at all.

As for his predictions, as someone said. He did a whole video on how Eddie Jones had a master plan and would win the RWC with England. His analysis is good, his crystal ball reading not so much.

He just seemed to begrudge it, it wasn't that he didn't point stuff out. The emphasis was very much on excusing the French by suggesting they were experimenting/hiding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

I have no idea why he talks so fast. Does he think everyone has the attention span of a teenager. The 'banter' crap wears off very very quickly.

Not for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

2 cents rugby. He seems to have problems with rights to clips a lot of the time but his analysis and love for the game is brilliant. He's a kiwi but seems to have an in depth knowledge and love for teams and leagues all over the world (He did nine minutes on Leinster v Dragons).

• Advertisement

His summation suggested that might have been an issue. After 7 or 8 minutes of discussing just how good Ireland were. The level of detail they go into. Including saying many teams will try copy the latch and drive from O’Mahoney for Porters try. I can’t say I thought in anyway he was biased towards the French in that video. I’m not his biggest fan, because of how the analysis is delivered but I honestly wouldn’t take away from that video. That he thought Ireland were anything short of brilliant in how they won the game.

Well I watched two of them. The Welsh one as well and the abiding impression was he was more interested in what the opposition were doing than the Irish.

Not to worry, I'll have a look at 2 Cents as suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Squidge has a distinct style, it appeals to enough people to keep him in a job. I personally like his videos, but it definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea.

I really like the "RTÉ Rugby Podcast", and "Against the Head" on RTÉ. I also like checking around on YouTube for a few different content providers.

Have to say, the 'quirky' editing would get to me after a while. Too old for that ****! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep especially like his team of the week where he goes into a lot of the stats.

His live stream of the third test vs NZ even without the footage is still a good watch today.

Advertisement