Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best all round gear for riding in Ireland

Options
  • 09-02-2023 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

What gear does people find best for riding in Ireland? I have the course commuter jacket and trousers at the moment and when i have a baselayer on underneath that stands up pretty good to the cold. But I find it doesn't handle the warmer days very well. So I'm thinking of upgrading this year to something better.

So what do people find good as all rounder gear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭armstrongracer

Ive got a Revit goretex pro jacket, great 4 season jacket with vents and removable liner. Half the price of equivalent Rukka and not half as good. Pro is bonded goretex so water rolls off and it doesnt get sodden and heavy. Big vents and mesh panels means it is ok in summer with lining removed. Wicking merino base layer is good for summer riding too. Got that in an end of season ski gear sale and it was way cheaper than a motorcycle specific item and essentially its the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Lidls stock Merino base layers coming into the skiing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah, any goretex type gear, with removable liner, and vents should do the job. We don't really get extreme weather here, so it's easy enough to cater for all the elements. Even the rain is generally soft enough here.

I did pick up a summer jacket too for those rare extra hot days, it's like I'm wearing nothing at all......😁

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

After years of being stuck with "waterproof" gear that was "affordable" (note the quotes!) .. I went with Dainese's GoreTex range and never looked back .. replaced the first set of trousers after a decade of daily commuting, mostly because I'd managed to burst the waist-fastener & various zips [too many chicken nuggets!]

They do a repair service too (but really only worth it for the leathers)

The Goretex stuff is pricey up front, but it lasts easily 10x longer than the "affordable" stuff - Currently €329 for the trousers from our friends with big windows : https://www.bikeworld.ie/dainese-new-galvestone-d2-gore-tex-trousers - about twice the price of the cheapest RST trousers in the same place... so pays for itself in two to three seasons depending on how much daily abuse you give 'em

Jacket - I went with the regular leather Dainese jacket, and a "garda style" overjacket for rain .. because when conditions are bad enough to need it, you need to be visible too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I wear riding jeans and a jacket... AA rated...

If I need to manage rain, I've a set of Scott Rain gear that I wear over that.

That way I don't look like a biker when I take a stroll around town, get some lunch or meet up with friends...

Ireland's weather is suitable for wearing normal looking cloths...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Our roads are at least as hard and abrasive as anywhere else's though.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

As I said, all my gear is CE AA rated... The safety comes from the materials and engineering, not the fact that you look like you're doing a tour of Morrocco...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A really good gaiter or wind guard for your neck for winter.

I've some heavy gear with extra insulation and then I've thermals and a hoodie under that but the wind on your neck renders all that useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

These are great, worth spending the money on a thin windproof one as it doesn't restrict head movement.

Advertisement