Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Hardware to increase broadband useability

Options
  • 09-02-2023 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

Currently have Vodafone 4G LTE as broadband option, Imagine is available but I locked into Vodafone contract as I needed broadband from last place. Its possible imagine is better but Im going to see what I can do to improve what Ive got for the moment, plus, I just read another thread which says Imagine is a limited service, Id thought they had an unlimited monthly subscription.

I want to see if I can do something to improve broadband reception and possibly hardwiring network cables inside the house, very slow, lagging Netflix, movies, poor quality, speedtested and it is appalling.

Im dont know where the Vodafone masts are to point an antenna at, other than their coverage map shows a concentration to my West which Im on the edge of, so I suspect the mast is that direction, having said that, searching online I cant actually find a map of where their masts are located. There is an existing Imagine Antenna fitted near the apex of roof, but it is pointing in a different direction to what Vodafone shows online for their coverage maps, while they probably have different towers, I thought it may be possible towers are shared even if their networks aren't.

I'm going to start with an Antenna and point it in the direction of where vodafone coverage map says online is better.

Looking at a Poynting 4G LTE XPOL antenna, any opinions? on them or is there better? My Vodafone Alcatel 4G Router has one network connection, so if the antenna doesnt improve broadband I was thinking of connecting a Switch and run network cables from that to where its needed, possibility of fitting a better wireless router if thats possible?

While Ive made up network cables and added a router for a relatives place, I just connected an additional router I had into their service providers wifi router and they had better speeds from the hardwired network outlets I fitted, but I dont know if I could have done things differently or better, plus Im not sure if that will be as successful with a 4G Router.

Can I connect dirrectly into a Switch and then route network cables or do I need to have access to change setting s in Vodafones Alacatel router? is a managed switch better, or does it make a difference with such slow speeds anyway? Is my idea of an Antenna and choice of make ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

What part of the country are you in? Eir have upgraded their 5G network in recent months. I used to struggle with mobile coverage. I accidentally discovered that I had 5 bars 5G coverage. I now have a 5G router with 70mb download and 22mb upload!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Im in Kildare near Johnstown bridge, I dont know if Eir is an option, I will look them up, never really thought of them, but they might be worth a try, I'll look them up. Im still open to opinions on improving my existing setup in the interim, I was even considering running 2 broadband accounts if I couldnt improve the Vodafone account with an antenna.

As for my Network internal to the house, if anyone knows? can I just hook up my network connection from router (any service provider, but 4G LTE Vodafone at the moment) and feed that out along network cables? possibly even into another wireless router? I dont want to buy hardware if it isn't useable, and Ive seen a variety of options, with my current speeds (presumably available bandwidth?) buying an expensive switch may not achieve anything a cheaper version would do anyway? Also I dont know if there are settings Id need to change in the Vodafone (service providers router?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If you near this mast , and we believe comreg, VF only provide 3G, Meteor(Eir) on same site has 4G. 5G is shown in Enfield for all providers.

Signal and speed will depend on router(What model alcatel you have?) and antenna if needed.

If you are within ~2km radius from mast you might be OK with omni-directional antenna, greater distance better work with directional.

Meteor(Eir) is claiming unlimited data, however, they have and enforce FUP (fair usage policy) as i have tested just lately

The only provider so far i know that do not apply any limits is three.

Alcatel does not strike me as good brand for LTE and WiFi gear, i prefer Huawei, but that is my personal view

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

... having said that, searching online I cant actually find a map of where their masts are located.

ComReg SiteViewer website for mast locations.

Use Google Maps to check distance from mast to your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Almost no-one needs a managed switch at home. Running network cables and a regular gigabit unmanaged switch will be fine.

You're already doing the best thing by investing in an antennae to get the best signal possible. If you have the budget, possible talk to someone who can set that up on your roof, and run the cables internally.

Before you invest in any networking gear, fix the antennae position as you mentioned, then plug a laptop/desktop directly in the Vodafone Alcatel 4G Router network port and run a speedtest. Only then will you know if the original signal is causing your lagging issues. If the 4g signal is flaky (high ping times,etc.), then no amount of network gear will improve the situation.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks,

Do you suggest any particular brand of Switch? or any to avoid?

Im not sure if an idea I had is possible, but I have a router I bought laying about somewhere, can I effectively use that as a switch? Or is it essentially actually a switch?

Alcatel HH71vm i think is LTE CAT7 Where it will work OK , with higher grade you would have more chances to increase your speeds. Current devices are LTE CAT 19 - 22.

Not to forget that speed aslo will depend on your particullar location in relation to the mast, other factors. Have you located your nearest mast on comreg? If willing to install external antena, mind that cable lenght will be 10m so you might need to move router (power, Ethernet) and distribute of LAN thereafter

As noted by some other posters - you need to sort incoming speed first, then is the distribution localy question. Your local gear only distribute what it gets from 4G router

Any old router can be configured to work as switch - either it has AP mode or you need to disable DHCP, firewall manualy. Ensure any gear you intend to use does support 1GB(1000Mbps) connectivity or you will be limiting yourself to 100Mbps

simple TP-link or Netgear switch will get you going , they ~€20 for 8 port switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=8+port+switch&i=computers&crid=29WHGIAWWX7I6&sprefix=8+port+switch%2Ccomputers%2C81&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Any specific suggestions for a better higher CAT Router? I'd a quick search online on Amazon, range of options,but none the wiser if any better,elsewhere online CAT 22 routers were steeply priced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What speed are you getting running a speedtest?

• Advertisement

Using Huawei B818(CAT19, 4G only) with external antenna - very happy

Huawei 5G CPE pro models(variants), some have/dont have external antenna - did not owned, cant say much

ZTE MC801A (i think CAT22, 5G) - problem with this one it has only 5G external antenna, 4G antenna require physical modification(DIY) , but on close to mast distances should be good - trial pending

shop on CEX for sec hand

Varies, but usually poor, 7.83 mbps download, 2.6 upload, that was a one off at midday, if it was always that I think Id be happy.

Lately 1.26 Download, 5.26 upload.

Now 2.27 Mbps download, 3.6 upload.

I connected an antenna to the router but it is still inside, I have it inside the window, I havent mounted it on a pole outside yet (I want to order a grommet so I could drill through the soffit and do that job in one go rather than doing it twice). Not sure if it will affect reception even on a mast outside but there is a 2 story house near to me and it looks like it is in the line of sight to the Mast (looking on Google maps)

What antenna is that?

Does router recognize connected antenna?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's poor enough.

I'd throw my Eircode into Bonkers.ie and see what that suggests.

Ok, thanks .My Connection is 4G LTE, I always thought that was 4G, but reading up on it, it appears it is not even 4G. I was reluctant to try another provider until I could get something resolved as I have an existing contract and moving provider, may or may not resolve the problem, it might if a providers mast is in a better direction, none are nearer from what I can see from link provided. Id even have considered Eir who I understand have 5G, but I was reluctant to try due to my opinion of their customer service reputation.

I'll look up the options you have provided, but Im going to see who provides what service 4G or 5G before I buy a router, the antenna I bought is 2g/3g/4g so Im not sure if it covers 4G LTE

Post edited by 1874 on

What is the make/model of the antenna?

4g is 4g LTE

Antennas cover frequencies, frequencies carry services 2/3/4/5G. What is the frequency range of your antenna?

Post edited by The Cush on

Panorama MIMO antenna WMM8G-7-38-5SP, freq range 698-960 & 1710-2700 Mhz

Covers the full range of mobile frequencies currently in use, including the new mobile frequencies recently awarded, 703 - 2690 MHz.

Good to go for at least the next decade. (unless they award the 1500 MHz download band between now and then)

Advertisement