Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approximate costs for a wall built from “local unplastered stone”?

Options
  • 09-02-2023 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

I bought a house a while back and the previous owners never built a front wall. The front of the site which is currently without a wall is around 22m. 2 different length sections with a gap for the driveway of course.

I've found some planning documentation on eplanning.ie for the site but I'm not sure if that's necessary unless I want to go bigger than 1.2m. The document itself has some fairly standard looking info.

"The new front boundary wall shall be of local unplastered stone. It shall not be less than 600 millimetres and no more than 1 meter in height viewed from the roadside."

The permission was granted back in 2003, so would have that expired by now? Also according to this link I can build up to 1.2m without planning permission and that's probably enough but I'll probably throw something up to get a better idea of the scale of it. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

Altogether the details are approx. 22m in length. A pillar either side of the entry way/driveway with the correct stability and design to allow a gate to be attached. There's no need for pointing unless it's a structural requirement. (Do I need to talk to an engineer about this or is it a fairly standard request that an experienced mason/builder will know the answer to?) I randomly searched around google maps and just found this wall as an example.

From what I've read it's cheaper to build cavity brick wall and then tie the natural stone to it on both sides and the top so that's probably what I'll go for.

Is there anyone here who could give an approximate figure based on those details? Is this the worst time I could be building a wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

It looks like that is a condition on the original planning permission for the house in which case imo that is the spec you have to build. I think I paid about 8K for a 40m some wall about 7 years ago and prices are probably double now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Thanks, it's good to get an idea of what to expect price wise.

I'm bracing myself for that kind of inflated pricing but there's not much to be done about that unfortunately.

Did your wall include the two pillars at the entrance as well? If your 40m wall was 8k at that stage then I might be looking at around 10k for a 22m wall.

One of the reasons I was asking about the height is that the garden is about a 1 or 1.5 feet higher than the road and it might look a bit daft if the wall is only 1.2 metres tall.

Advertisement