Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DD-WRT, pfSense or something similar as a Virgin Media broadband subscriber?

Options
  • 09-02-2023 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello!

Back in the day, I used to flash my stock router with DD-WRT or build my own pfSense box and hang it off a stock router in modem mode. You know, things like that...

I'm now a Virgin Media broadband customer with the Hub 3.0 and I'm wondering what my options are to do things like the above?

My main interest is in running something like pi-hole for my home wi-fi network, something like openvn for all devices on my home wi-fi network and something like opendns so I can remotely log into my home network.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You can bridge the VM modem and use whatever hardware you want connected to that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As Pizzahead77 mentions, put the cable modem into modem only mode, and you're free to use your own router. In my case I run OpenWRT on mine instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TotesRandomer

To enable modem mode on your Hub 3.0

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Hub 3.0
    2. Open your Internet browser
    3. Log in to your Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser
    4. Enter your Hub 3.0 settings password. The default password is printed on the bottom of the Hub 3.0. If you have changed the default password, enter that password instead
    5. Once you've logged in, click Modem Mode on the left
    6. Click the option next to Enable Modem Mode and then click Apply changes

I do not have the Modem Mode option?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TotesRandomer

So, apparently you have to ring VM and ask for an IPV4 address (be persistent and don't be fobbed off with any bs about IPV4 vulnerabilites), perform at least a 20 second reset on the router and the option should show up.

Just putting this here in case anyone else is looking... :)

I'll revert if this works, thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

OpenWRT and PfSense - all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Yeah, "new" customers are on a CGNAT sort of deal with IPV6.

There are very limited options in the modem in that mode.

If you ask for an external ipv4 address, the modem gets a different profile then you can change it to modem mode. Just say you need it for a work VPN.

NB, after it's in modem mode, it has the address 192.168.100.1. You'll get an external address via the WAN port of whatever you use as a router then.

Advertisement