Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Television programmes and celebrities you’re surprised hasn’t been “cancelled” yet

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Right before my first post, "I agree with what you say about call out culture being more appropriate"

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Cancel culture as described by those who promote it and claim to be victims of it does not exist. What we have now is a forum for people who are offended by content in media to loudly and sometimes obnoxiously state how offended they are.

To give a very recent example Jimmy Carr made a joke stating that the holocaust of the gypsies in WW2 was good news which is a horrific thing to say, surely if cancel culture that you say is so prevalent actually exists he'd have been cancelled straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,331 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Then it would depend on the definition: for me, groups or individuals acting as if they want something cancelled or banned because they're offended by it is what defines it. Fired would be the same thing. Doesn't have to actually get something cancelled (thankfully, must of them fail). Briann Gunn was another, thankfullly got his job back - but if firing doesn't count, then why did Disney hire him in the place? Why did it take the tweets being highlighted to make them fire him?

If fired doesn't count, then what hypothetically would?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I presume you mean James Gunn? you pick an interesting example. The Gunn tweets were highlighted by Mike Cernovich. Mike wasnt offended by the tweets. he highlighted them as an attack on Gunn, nothing else. Gunn was critical of Trump, which pissed of Cernovich. He doesn't fit the woke liberal brigade stereotype that is associated with "cancel culture".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,331 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm guessig you could find an objection for every example - but again it really depends on how you define cancel culture. I mean, obviously the mob claiming offense can't make decisions to cancel or fire people themselves, so I'm assume that's not what you mean?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement