Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Policy Renewal / New Policy

Options
  • 10-02-2023 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have had policy with 123 for a long time, was involved in a crash (car was an economic write off) the other underwriter has admitted that the liability is with them but still some stuff to close out before the claim can be closed. I had let my renewal lapse in Dec as I didn't have another car to put the insurance on and didn't need one at the time. Found a replacement car and now 123 say they cannot take me on as its a new policy. Even if I was at fault they'd still be liable from the policy that was in place when the accident occurred.

Can they just refuse to insure me? Any ideas?

Cheers

LD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even if I was at fault they'd still be liable from the policy that was in place when the accident occurred.

Can you elaborate on that statement - is that what they told you or is it your interpretation of why they're refusing you a new policy? Giving you a new policy does not open them to any new or additional liability in connection with the earlier accident.

And if the other guy's insurance have admitted liability (is that what you mean when you talk about 'the other underwriter'?) then surely you have a clean sheet with no claims and can seek quotations elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Limerick_dude

it was my interpretation. What they are saying is their policy is to not take on anyone that has an open claim.

Yes other underwriter (is the company behind the insurance broker) and they have emailed me confirmation that liability is with their client.

From what I have read most if not all insures will not take anyone on with an open claim - so my question is how do I get insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Since the claim is not settled then it remains open and 123 are probably correct. Your mistake was letting the policy lapse.

Yeah letting the policy lapse was a mistake, but the question remains if no other insurance provider will take me on due to an open claim (which was no fault of mine) how do I get insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the other crowd have admitted liability then surely the OP can ask 123 for a no-claims cert which he can take to other companies when asking for a quote?

It may be technically true that there is an 'open claim' but it's not going to result in a claim against the OP's old 123 policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭gripcasey

Hi . Did you resolve this issue I am having a similar problem

I spoke with the underwriters that had admitted liability and they asked their policy holder to close out the claim which resolved it but did take some time and going round the houses!

Advertisement