Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Ireland to England for work questions.

• 10-02-2023 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I've got a decent chance of being offered a job in England but have some questions as to the ins and outs of it. I'll keep it as short as I can I'm just wondering if there is any advice from people who have made the move.

1. Do I need a visa? I know we have the CTA agreement still there but I've been told it's a little bit complicated.
    2. What is the UK version of a PPS no and how would I go about getting one as I'd like to have type of stuff sorted before I go if possible.
    3. I've just re-signed a new 2 year vodafone mobile phone contract so how do I get out of that if I need to (maybe I don't) Any input or advice would be appreciated and am I over thinking things and it is easy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

If you have Irish citizenship, you won't need a visa to live or work in the UK

The UK equivalent of the PPS is the National Insurance Number. You can't get one until you have a permanent address in the UK. And it takes about 4 weeks, give or take, to get it.

Its an expensive country. And the Council Tax makes LPT seem like a brilliant bargain. Landlords pay LPT here, tenants pay council tax in the UK and you need to budget for it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Cheers Bicylette. It would be a live in job managing a pub so I assume that address would suffice. If I had that address could I apply for the National Insurance Number from here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

That I don't know. You'd need to check. My knowledge is based on the experience of my daughter who moved to the UK last month. She had to go for an interview as part of getting her National Insurance number. I suppose you could go over and start the application, then go back home to Ireland and then go back for the interview if necessary.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Irish citizens don't need visas to work in the UK. When you have your address make an appointment at your local Job Centre. Bring your passport and other identity documents and you'll have a little interview and just confirm you're looking for work or have secured a job and you'll get your National Insurance number card in the post. You might have to buy your way out of your contract. Vodafone will tell you anyway.

Advertisement