Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"GAA star in alleged scam" Mod Note on page 1 and 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭Stanley 1

Deficit looks like around given the security of 2 properties, sure does seem AIB did not have control over these properties and may have been sold out from underneath them.

Get AIB in the dock and strip client confidentiality away in this case.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Because whether or not it’s illegal is immaterial IMO

Pretending to have cancer to rip off friends and colleagues is immoral and absolutely deserves to be called out

It is weird that you think he’s the one being treated unfairly here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The GAA and the banks are quite interlinked, so many current and former stars have top jobs in the banks. Is it a stretch to say one of his pals (he has none left now surely) made that decision and signed off on wiping his debt.

It will enrage people in similar situations who have to hand over their earnings to chip away at millions of debt. It sets a precedent, if they left <admin snip> away with it then they will be asking for the same outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

One of the folks who lent him money I believe is related to a former teammate that played alongside him. So there was probably quite a bit of 'I can vouch for him, he'll pay you back' or something similar. Only the repayments never came.

Oh many are expressing disgust and outrage over this. Folks talking about their own experiences of repaying loans, and having that loan passed on to the equivalent of a loan shark. It's gut wrenching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is true. I know personally of at least ten gaa “stars” with damn all professional qualifications/experience who were given cushy roles in the banks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Dig Charlie up, there's alot of stuff that people got away with in the seventies and eighties you can't get away with now,at least come up to Bertie 👍👍

Thing is, working in a bank these days unless you are a director, isnt exactly decent money. In fact some sales and advisors roles are downright crap. Maybe working in a bank back in the day may have been a thing of pride but after the crash and the greed of them was exposed nobody cares and some even dismiss a banking job as worthless.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

For a long time working in a bank was a great job. Well 1970s-mid 1990s.

Then the strike of 1992 effectively broke the union.

It would have been bad PR to drag him through court and I suspect that was the reason they gave him a write off. Anyway they had F all chance of getting their money back

I would have thought bankruptcy the best way forward for his level of debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Can we park the whole mental health debate.

Lots of people have very serious issues with mental health, and if you are in the lucky position to think its no big deal at all, then you are indeed in a lucky position.

Thats not to say it cant also be used as an excuse or whatever; but lets not start generalising here about all mental health concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Really -another strand of using this discussion to damn a whole load of people not involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

AIB are at fault here not <admin snip> they are the ones who offered him a deal what sort of a fcuking eejit would turn down that deal?

On the totally unrelated matter of the fraudster GAA star the cynical playing of the mental health card and the "genuine" suicide attempt are the last resort of the scoundrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Finding in tribunals can not be used in court cases. The reason some ended up in jail was they jerked around the trubunals

Your last paragraph sounds like <admin snip> is the first such person for this to happen too people have short memories.

I remember there was a discussion in a well known evening sports show (or there Sunday edition) that they talked should GAA players be given stronger consideration for a job position so they could have stability and not have far to go so they be fresh and be able to play GAA and were all for it as it should be considered

Edit: they were discussing a piece in a national newspaper if I remember correctly

Post edited by martingriff on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

Agree 100% - loads of Garda managed to get recruited on the back of GAA connections, some could barely write their own name. I heard a interview with the late Jack Lynch form Cork, he was a dual player (hurling & football) he never passed an exam in his life. He had an interest in studying law but did not even have a basic Leaving Cert. But a manager of certain GAA club in Dublin got wind of this and he wanted a star player on his team hoping to win some trophies. This manager happened to have contacts in Kings Inns and arranged for Jack to move to Dublin, register with this GAA club and of course with Kings Inns ....and the rest is history. He went on to be Taoiseach later. It's who you know not what you know.

No that's not true. They can be used but their use varied and in some cases "incompetentency" was why they were not used.

Haugheys tax case came out of a tribunal but Mary Harney ruined the states case in a radio interview. Accidentally it appears.

Ray Burke went to jail for making a false tax return. That came out of the flood tribunal.

Bertie was able to claim he got loans not donations so got off any prision. What money he could not explain he claimed he won on horses.

Personally I think tribunals are a bad idea. They are too open ended and deny natural justice.

They trawl through your tax affairs etc and then make findings against you.

It's a really expensive way of just doing a tax audit.

The only real people to gain are lawyers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jack Lynch must have been a smart boy, reading what it says on Wikipedia. I didn't know there were other levels of the Leaving Cert, apart from the basic? How did you find out that those Gardai had such low literacy?

"John Mary Lynch was born on 15 August 1917, in Shandon, on the north side of Cork, and grew up in the nearby area of Blackpool. The youngest of five boys and fifth of seven children, with four elder brothers and two younger sisters, Jack, as he was known, was generally regarded as the "wild boy" of the family. He was educated at St. Vincent's Convent on Peacock Lane, and later at the famous "North Mon", the North Monastery Christian Brothers School. When Lynch was just thirteen years old his mother died suddenly. His aunt, who herself had a family of six, stepped in to look after the family. Lynch sat his Leaving Certificate in 1936, after which he moved to Dublin and worked with the Dublin District Milk Board, before returning to Cork to take up a position in the Circuit Court Office.

Lynch began working at the Cork Circuit Court as a clerk at the age of nineteen. His work in the court ignited his interest in law and in 1941 he began a night course at University College Cork studying law, where he was a member of the Law Society. After two years in UCC, he moved once again to Dublin to complete his studies at King's Inns. While continuing his studies he started work with the Department of Justice. In 1945, Lynch was called to the Bar and had to decide whether to remain in his civil service job or practice as a barrister. Lynch made the decision (literally on the toss of a coin) to move back to Cork and began a private practice on the Cork Circuit."

Nowadays the person serving the bank official their chicken roll at lunch is likely to be on more money than the bank official himself! Even a cursory glance at salaries in the bank leaves a bad taste in the mouth. You would get tonnes more cash in a factory on day shift.

There is definitely a theme with GAA and banks and schools. So many GAA managers are teachers or principals so are in a position to hire GAA players over another qualified person who isnt interested in GAA.

• Administrators, Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hi all,

I'm quoting the Cmods post here containing their instructions for this thread. A number of people have ignored this request and have received warnings as stated.

If these instructions are continually ignored I will close this thread.

The Terms of Use of the site state how a user should post here. Below is an extract from those terms. Full terms can be found on the link at the bottom of each page on site.

• We expect you to act responsibly in posting Material on Boards.ie. You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:
    • treat others with disrespect
    • defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights (such as rights of
    • privacy and publicity) of others
    • post Material that could be construed as scandalising the courts

Thanks,

-Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

I never said that Jack was not a smart boy. Jack was retired when this particular interview was recorded, I'm sure it's still available in RTE's archives, if you happen to have any contacts there they might dig it out for you. I was surprised that he actually admitted it on radio, he never once mentioned the Dublin Milk Board - just the GAA club and Kings Inns and the fact that he never passed the leaving cert etc. as I previously described. I guess Wikipedia would / could not print details of the wheeling & dealings that goes on behind the scenes in such cases - they stick with the ''official version'' I heard it straight from the horse's mouth and have to reason to doubt his honesty / sincerity.

Regarding the Leaving Cert, it comes in many guises, there's Higher Level aka honours, Ordinary Level aka pass and Foundation Level + Applied Leaving Cert.

To be fair in the past you just needed about two honours to get into a degree. There was no points race. Probably up to the 1970s.

So lynch was pretty normal. Considering some of the corrupt idiots that came after him - he was pretty smart

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/tribunals_and_investigations/tribunals_of_inquiry.html#:~:text=Any%20statement%20or%20admission%20made,independent%20criminal%20or%20civil%20proceedings.

We are both kind of right according to citizens information

Any statement or admission made at a tribunal cannot be used in evidence against a person in criminal proceedings. However, sometimes the findings of tribunals can give rise to an investigation leading to independent criminal or civil proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The "Leaving Cert" that was available when Jack Lynch was a boy wast totally different to what we have today I doubt it was anything you are saying above. The 1930's and 40's were a world away from what is now and to try and put todays standards is wrong. I say plenty of people were like him with there schooling and by all standards it looks like he deserved that placing in Kings Inn. During that time unless you were high life you did need to know people to get places

I think its been proven that GAA stars were given things other mortals didn't get or still don't get. I would not begrudge them as compared to soccer professionals and others they don't make a huge amount from the GAA.

But as to Jack L being smart two words 1977 manifesto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Martin O'Donoghue was always given the credit for that. The people loved it, biggest ever majority in the history of the State for Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So he conned Denis O'Brien!! Not a bit sorry for O'Brien who also benefitted from shady behaviour himself. There's a pair of them in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement