Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C section

• 11-02-2023 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Morning all..had a ewe that never opened to lamb and ended up getting a c section..vet pulled out 2 huge lambs .1 dead on arrival and the other alive but poorly..I have tubed the lamb and have him under a heat lamp in corner of the pen..the ewe is up and moving but not licking the lamb.is there anything else I can do to help them bond..older ewe who is always an excellent mother..I'm hoping when pain relief kicks in she will show interest but lamb might not last till then..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

How are they doing now? Like you said not much else you could do only wait for maternal instinct to kick in once the ewe begins to feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Lamb is definitely improving..trying to get up but not quite there..I'll.tube through the night and see what tomorrow brings..

Ewe is poor enough..very lethargic and only picking occasionally at hay/feed..couple of.times she.came.and stood over.the lamb

I'd be worried she might lie.on him overnight because she is not herself so I'll probably block off a corner of the pen with a straw bale to protect him tonight anyway..might make her forget him completely but would be a scald if she smothered him..thanks for asking..long day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

These scenarios eat time. What has she had for pain relief? Could you dissolve a couple of disprin and put it back her neck and a shot of ketovit or similar to perk her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Vet gave her a shot of metacam this morning which is supposed to last 48hrs..might do what my father would have done in the morning and bring her some ivy..he always maintained if they didn't eat that they were in bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Agree with the ivy. Its great stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement