Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online/virtual Dr's and medical services through insurance companies?

• 11-02-2023 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I recently found I can get free prescriptions from my insurance company.

Given that to get a script from a Dr's office now a days requires an appointment, and repeat scripts are 30 euros to sometimes the full cost of an appointment, this is pretty great.

There's also online consultations (free), though in the past when I've requested contact they've been very slow in responding.

But medical services online via insurers is a nice resource.

Anyone else make significant use of these services?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I use online VHI doctor.

Which free service are you referring to here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I'm with Laya and get free virtual consultations.

Most recently I used the free prescription service.

Pretty awesome.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

I'm with Laya and have used the online doc a good few times, I think it's 3 free a year. Great for a standard issue that you know you just need a prescription faxed to nearest chemist for. I believe though it's a little harder now to get a quick appointment, anytime I tried I had one same day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I've had this service here in Switzerland for about a decade now, there are some limitations:

• Companies can't prescribe drugs, there has to be a prescribing doctor behind it and it really depends who is on duty at the time. Some doctors are comfortable to prescribe certain drugs over the phone and some are not.
    • There are limitations set by the insurance company as to the number of times you can get certain drugs before you must do a F2F with a doctor.
    • As for phone or online consultations, I feel there is a higher chance of a misdiagnosis, so I'd only use it in an emergency. And on the two occasions where I did use the answer was - go to the ER.

Advertisement