Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would an Ireland with full legalization of drugs be?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As Peter Hitches says on this issue - there isn't any war on drugs.

So one can't say the war on drugs isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I remember them, those places were a disaster, as were the hoards of shambling 'Spice' zombies they created in the streets around them and cluttering up psych wards. It will be no different with weed. The Irish, in common with the American Indian, seem to have a predilection for addiction. I'd say a ton of areas will end up looking like an Indian reservation trailer parks.

• The war on drugs is real but it’s such a catastrophic failure in both practice and the theory behind it.

That being the assumption at the time America began their “war on drugs” was they were all bad end of story. We now know better so the whole thing has lost its sex appeal, I guess.

It’s not heroic to target drugs anymore now you’re just wasting police resources. Whenever I see garda have raided someone and seized a bunch of heroin I’ll think that’s good. Good to see.

When it comes to rather harmless things like cannabis or mushrooms I just think what a waste of time and energy.

As for the OP and thread topic I think full legislation of all illegal drugs is a stupid idea. I think decriminalisation is a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

What a waste of garda resources here...

“So, I grew the three plants to have some in reserve and that’s when they [the gardai] caught me.

“They knocked on the door and said: ‘We’ve got a search warrant for your house’. I let them in. I didn’t hide anything and I told them exactly what was going on.

“I must admit they were very nice, they were gentleman about it. They never said how they ended up at my door.”

Appearing before Judge Mary Larkin at Kilrush District Court last week, James pleaded guilty to the cultivation of cannabis without a licence at his home on July 3, 2021. He was convicted and fined €100.

But James is unapologetic over his actions and called for the law to be looked at where it concerns cannabis and medical need.

• You couldn’t have summed up my last point any better! this is exactly the type of craic that makes my eyes roll. Fair play the Garda were sound about it though. I’ve seen them act like flipping FBI agents over some weed before.

€100 fine.. even the judge thinks it’s a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

Did Prohibition stop people drinking in the US? All it did was drive home brewing into the hands of bootleggers and whiskey importation into the hands of the Mob. People still continued to get sh!t-faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No way would pure uncut cocaine or opioids such as Oxycotton ever be freely legally available to one and all for purchase here, they're way too addictive and dangerous in the wrong hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Do drink/drug driver laws stop everyone from getting into a car under the influence and doing harm to themselves or someone else? No, some people will still engage in destructive behaviour anyway. But it does cut down the numbers dramatically, and so saves many lives.

The same thing can be argued for sensible laws around drugs. Some people will still take drugs, and some of those people will still become addicted and have major problems. But laws do keep these problems to a manageable level, and prevent society from being overwhelmed by such issues.

Advertisement