Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the correct way to take this sharp turn?

• 13-02-2023 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DubLad69

I take this turn quite often. Travelling along the R109 turning left up to the R121. There are two options for turning.

Option one: As long as there are no cars passing, you move out to the right of the R109 before making the turn. This ensures that you stay on the left side of the road the whole time you are on the R121.

Option 2: You don’t move out to the right, and instead you need to cross onto the other side of the road on the R121 mid turning.

I tend to go for option 1, as you can not see more than a few meters up the R121 when turning, so I don’t like making the turn when I can’t see what is coming towards me. However, often when the cars on the R121 see that you are turning left they will then pull out onto the r109 to go in the direction that I am coming from. If I wasn’t very careful this could result in an accident.

From what I understand, I would have right of way over the car turning onto the R109 even if I’m on the wrong side of the road while turning? Obviously I just need to be careful, but I’m just wondering who would technically be in the wrong during an accident here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

There's a yellow box specifically placed to allow for option 2.

What is most annoying about option 1 is the couple of heroes following the first around, all blindly crossing the solid white line, inconveniencing anyone who comes along the strawberry beds (r109).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I take this turn occasionally and due to a particularly poor turning circle of 11.6m in my car have to combine option 1+2 to complete in one pass. There's a yellow box alright but a lot of ignorant drivers ignore it making the turn particularly difficult, had one driver continue towards me into the box and stop in it as I was mid turn before so there's no accounting for some drivers stupidity. They resurfaced the road a couple of years ago but can't understand why they didn't surface right up to the wall at the yellow box as I have to take a pretty wide swing there coming from the R121 onto the R109 when heading towards Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Drift it!

But in all seriousness, as far to the right, as close to the centreline hand as you can stop to get as much visibility and to be as visible as possible. Then observing carefully before committing to left hand corner, and accelerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭CathalC2011

I take that road regularly.. If there's nobody coming towards me, I'll definitely pull to the right so I can get a tight angle back into the left lane. Reason being there are often people coming down the R121 who can't see you yet, and tend to be further down the road then they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DubLad69

That's what I try to do myself, but is that what the rules say we should do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement