Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing UK Caravan to Ireland

• 13-02-2023 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm new here.

I've read some posts about the importing of Caravans from the UK to the Ireland but I've no clear answer for this questions:

1. If I import a Carvan from the UK from Ireland there are some customs I've to pay?
    2. I must to pay the 23% of VAT when importing?
    3. There is any additional to pay besides VAT and Customs?

Best Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

No need to do anything. Just put your Irish plates on it and drive off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes. You're liable for VAT on anything you bring in. Just becaise it is a caravan or trailer doesn't exempt it from VAT. You're not of course liable for VRT that a motorhome would be.

If the caravan is a Bailey, Swift, elddis or Coachman, it will be UK made therefore zero percent tarriff but liable for VAT at 23%

If it is a non UK made caravan you add duty of 3%

Of course,if its second hand and if you put plates on it, you.may just get through.

I spoke to a traveller recently that tells.me that they were being stopped at rosslare and Dublin before Christmas and customs broke their heart.

I guess im about to find out myself in 2 weeks.im bringing home a Bailey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Please let us know how you get on @AckwelFoley . Is the Bailey new or secondhand? I'm hoping to bring home a secondhand one soon.

Its a 2018 Bailey

Cost 19 sterling. We are almost there. Considerable deposit paid after we did our Cris checks etc.

Arrangements almost finalised for collection with a little plot twist which if all works out, will clarify after the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭dizbo

Keep us updated. Only recently started looking into Caravans and can get fresher ones in the uk but finding it hard to get information on what needs to be done. Can you just put a plate on and bring it back?

Caravan home today. Collected it in Northern Ireland. I paid a dealer in Northern Ireland to collect it and bring it home. The cost of which ultimately was comparable albeit a little more to me going collection it myself between ferries and diesel and a night in an Air b and b.

Bit ofnstress involved. We were in it for just under 22k ex transport, I flew to London to look at the caravan and give it the once over, flew home, transferred deposit and made arrangements then transferred the balance. Nervy sending that sort of money to someone you met once, not withstanding he seemed fine

House full of happy campers here today..literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 asmyth

@AckwelFoley This sounds like a great way to do it. Which dealer did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 loulou3

Hi @AckwelFoley, we are considering doing the same thing as we’ve been looking for a while now here and find everything overpriced for whats on offer, and often damaged though advertised as “mint condition” 🙄

Can you recommend a place to look in the UK? Who did you use?

thanks!!

Advertisement