Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care of Rattan furniture in the winter

Options
  • 13-02-2023 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Is Rattan furniture hardy enough to be left out all winter?

I store the cushions in covers in the shed, but I don't have the room to store the furniture.

Does the weather affect it? Should it be covered?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If its actual rattan (which seems unlikely) no, it will not survive outside. If its the plastic look-alike, then it does depend on what the sub frame is made of, but generally it will survive, though probably be pretty manky looking by summer. I'd suggest putting some of those fitted covers over it. I have a couple of woven plastic over chromed (steel?) basic chairs that have been standing out for a good few years now and are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

No, It is plastic look-alike on a steel sub frame

I have been covering it with a single, large, generic cover but that has become ripped over the years with the wind.

It just looks really ugly on the patio with a tatty cover taped over (un-evenly stacked) pile of furniture.

I imagine that fitted covers would be very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks - I'll take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

The place you got it should stock covers too. I picked one up from the same spot I got my stuff recently. Failing that check Rathwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

The one I got in Rathwood is heavy enough to pull over the 6 seater table and chairs I have, that truck siding stuff would be a workout! There's a reason they are on rails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement