Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my 3 5g receiver high enough or did I have a lazy installer?!

Options
  • 13-02-2023 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have just moved into a new house and 3 5g was the best option available (no lines in yet surprise surprise!).

The speed and everything is good but I'm just wondering could it be better?

The mast is about 400 meters and I'm sure if it was high enough it would have direct sight.

I've attached a photo so I can get people's opinions. Cheers!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the speed is good and it's reliable what's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

There's an app which helps you site the receiver in the best place. If you have enough/any slack in the cable you could see if putting it higher or elsewhere will give you even better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Blip74

The issue is I paid to have it installed and I want to know if it is done properly because I could have done that myself!

If it should be placed higher to get direct sight then that should have been done!

My son is an avid pc gamer and my daughter has about a hundred tablets etc, so I'd like to be getting the best signal possible.I'm paying enough so expect the best service possible as anyone would.

I hate to see jobs half done or someone taking the easy way out.

I hate heights so that is why I got the installer option!!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Yes, it looks like a very lazy job to me no matter how good the signal is , the higher always the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Is your site elevated? If it is, then the current placement might be fine. If you're down in a hollow or have a lot of trees/hills in the surrounding area, then you really should have it as high as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Blip74

It's the same level all around but there's other houses between my house and the mast.

This is why I was surprised to see it so low on wall!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1/. What linespeed are you getting?

2/. How's the reliability?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most types of units to receive signals tend to be placed as high as possible.

This install does look like a lazy job, or else he left his long ladder at home.

Then again, perhaps he had a signal reader which showed he was getting a good enough signal where it was, and there was to be no benefit of going higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Advertisement