Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose cuttings - next best step

Options
  • 13-02-2023 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

I took some rose cuttings in November 2021. Surprisingly a good few survived. They were potted on at some stage last year when they had completely outgrown the pots they were in. And fed a number of times. They are a Rambler/climber.

I'm wondering what's my next step? Do I pot them up again? Do I trim them back? If so how far back? Is it ok to plant them out into a flower bed this year? I'll have some spots ready in the next few weeks, but probably not until after they are growing for this season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do they look big enough to survive in a flower bed? I had a lot of cuttings that did really well, I left them in pots (re-potting as needed) for a couple of years, might have been 3, and they made fine healthy plants when I put them out. I wouldn't cut them back unless they have dead bits or look straggly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I don't honestly know. I think in one bed they probably would because there's not much going on that would be competition for them but maybe not in the second one.

They are looking really twiggy at the moment but I might just pot them up again for this year and prune off anything dead. But give them more attention throughout the year and hope they get a bit stronger looking.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Roses are fairly resilient. You might find that if you give them a good feed of fresh manure while planting that it can give them the boost they need..

Advertisement