Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is housing really that bad or is it just another hyped up 'crisis'?

Options
  • 13-02-2023 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm firmly of the opinion it's appalling, but I can't understand why there isn't more public outrage.

Do people think it's hyped?

Is it hopelessness?

Or if it doesn't affect you directly are you not really bothered?

How can FFG still be in power and at circa 40% when this has been allowed to worsen unchecked for years now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

A recent article in a local paper here in Limerick reported a young lad, earning 900 a week as a construction worker, caught frostbite and pneumonia from sleeping rough.

Because he couldn't find anywhere to rent.

Is that just how things are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's interesting why there aren't any major organised student protests, they are the ones who must be getting hammered at the moment (as far as I am aware anyway, I wasn't monitoring too closely)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I read that as well.

Rooms are advertised regularly.

So, he faked it, or it was by choice?

What are you saying?

Rooms being advertised doesn't mean 50 people show up for each one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's definitely not hyped, if I was looking for somewhere to rent right now looking of daft.ie would put me into a depression that I genuinely wouldn't be able to get out of. It feels hopeless as theirs no easy solution.

I don't know his reason. Plenty of satellite towns for him to go to.

Yes the Margaret Cash of this world get it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Friend desperate to move and has applied for about 100 places since September.

There's a strange mix at the moment I think where protesting housing shortage might also draw in anti immigrant people. I'd guess that's why the students aren't protesting.

If the war stops, it's likely the protests may start IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Please name satellite towns with plenty of housing available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I mean if you look at the likes of the US and their homeless issues then its not as bad, we have fairly low levels of rough sleeping and those that are generally have other things going on. However, families depending on emergency accommodation and living in hotels isn't great either so still a bit of a crisis alright

Back when I was single, at college or working in Dublin renting with friends or even strangers and changing jobs on a whim and having to move to a new area to be close to work finding a place was a breeze and affordable. I'd not want to be that person these days on minimum wage and trying to get by.

I'll gladly say say "I'm alright Jack" and consider myself very lucky,

I'm not in Ireland but was back last summer and it's a definite crisis based on the difficulties some neighbours and cousins were having.

The country is very hard to move back to at the moment without a solid base to help you out for a few months. Like I couldn't arrive in Dublin tomorrow as a normal person and find accommodation for a job starting in March. I'd be broke paying nightly to stay in the city to look for somewhere, so I'd be doing the hour and a half drive from mum's place to check places out if and when they popped up. And that's only while there is a mum's place.

It's someone that's on my mind now. The fact that that support network is there at the moment and if I want to move back and not blow my savings just on setting up a life again, I need to do get around to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

My sister was looking to move to Ireland from Spain to work as a teacher. Well that was until she looked at the cost of renting a place that quickly changed her mind, The housing disaster is costing us qualified professionals because who in their right mind would come here to spend most of their money on rent and then live in poverty once you take into account other living expenses.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Funny you mention teaching. I've only a free Spotify account and so have the ads and they are going hard on the ads for teachers in Victoria/Australia. Not gone to check what they are offering but I'd imagine a few here are hearing those ads and thinking hmmmm !!!

There are plenty of satellite towns. €4,000 month. He has plenty of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Houses haven't exactly disappeared over the last decade. It's a population crises rather than a housing crises, simply too many people in the country versus available resources and pop growth allowed to go totally unchecked despite the lack of infrastructure in place to support it.

But limiting population growth is not something the govt is ever realistically going to do so it won't get fixed.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

The Government need to change their housing policies and grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Homeowners: ah shur tis terrible to not have a home.

Also homeowners: new development near me, must lodge an objection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭StevenToast

You cant be having riff raff near my little johnny....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh noes, strangers using my road and my gym and my shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

so I'd be doing the hour and a half drive from mum's place to check places out if and when they popped up. And that's only while there is a mum's place.

One of the reasons for the problems now is a lot of people during Covid willing moved back to mum's place because of remote working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yup. You reap what you sew.

Those 26 pieces of stupid legislation hammering landlords, putting in rent freezes, slaughtering people on tax, made it incredibly difficult, expensive, and risky to be a housing provider or developer. So we said feck ye, and left the market and took our business elsewhere.

What did you fooking expect? Units to fall from the sky? Ireland needs to grow up and be accountable for the idiotic decisions made. Maybe if you got off the mammeries of your nanny state expecting social housing to be laid on a plate. Rip out the rubbish that was put in place , and make it make sense to build and rent again. But, I've a feeling it needs to get a lot worse before it will get better. Let SF have a go sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a huge factor in the reluctance of many emigrants to return to Ireland. I was looking at Galway at one point and it's barely cheaper than London.

Pathetic bollox. Landlords contribute housing the same way scalpers contribute tickets.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

How does that affect the situation? You'll have to explain a bit better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Single Mother - 19 and 1 child.

Given a 2 bed brand new build house in North East Kildare valued at 350k. 50 Euro a Week.

The working man or woman need to have a deposit of 35k and a salary of 90K to be able to finance that. God forbid they have missed a direct debit though. They'll be blacklisted for that.

A family also in North East Kildare- 2 parents and 3 kids given a brand new build 3 bed semi valued at 420k. 75 euro a week.

You do that maths on that one.

Now I know the types of responses I'll get on here but the above just isn't right in any way shape or form. I even look at the affordable housing bodies here in Kildare and their prices fare off the charts for cost rental long term tenancies.

The middle classes don't have a hope in life at this rate. We've been let down badly and have let ourselves down badly for letting things get this bad. This policy has been implemented by consecutive FF/FG governments since the 60's and 70's and these are the results.

• Advertisement

I'm open to correction on this, but it looks like the cost of bringing an "affordable" apartment to market in Dublin now is about 450k.

Is there not enough profit in that?

If so, where exactly are costs so high and what can be done about it?

Advertisement