Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Im kinda feeling sorry for Biden at this stage, even on RTE there is a constant drip of Biden gaff reports now.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Both Trump and Biden have declined in the last few years - Trump is 78 and Biden is 81 so no great difference.

Both ramble and make big mistakes. Trump said the 'Americans controlled all the airports during the American Revolution' (of 1775 to 1777). Of course Trump has been convicted of a felony which is the first for an ex-President. Trump makes so many gaffes that it is normal.

However Biden has serious frailty that is impossible to hide now, so he should step back, but he is a determined and proud man who can look back on many successes.

If he were to retire as President, (which he will not), would a President Kamala Harris get a major boost in the polls that would give her the election?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And all anyone hears about is the gaffes. Doesn't matter if he was brilliant on stage, that's all that's reported. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

there is a lot of chat here about Harris not being liked, etc, etc, etc. but when the voter goes to the voting booth will they then vote for Trump - given his COLOURFUL RECORD?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They're not really. It's not like he actually mixed up the people - it was a slip of the tongue that was corrected.

However, at the end of the day, impressions are all that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The minimum the Democrats need is someone to be able to counter Trump and his lies that he will spouting at the next debate.

Biden couldn't do that a few weeks ago.

It doesn't matter how likeable Harris is, she just has to expose Trump at every opportunity.

A big part of Labour winning in the UK last week was that they weren't the Conservatives.

It's the same for the Democrats.

Easy for me to say here I know, but Biden doesn't look like he is capable of a long tough slog against Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hillary Biden, like Trump, is now a walking joke.

*Joe Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭RickBlaine

I think Biden showcased an excellent display of foreign policy knowledge with a level of detail and understanding that is literally impossible for Trump to achieve. But the problem is that the headlines are dominated by him saying 'President Putin' and 'VP Trump'. There is a world of difference between making a slip up on a name and actually believing Trump is the VP, but the media is treating it with the severity of the latter. Biden has been making gaffes his entire career so it is nothing new.

But ultimately this comes down to his ability to win this election and not whether he is able to function as president. That is the conflict between Candidate Biden and President Biden. I think President Biden's ability to do his job effectively is making it difficult for Candidate Biden to see the major electability problems he has even when faced with a raving idiot like Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes. The average, low-information, swing-state, floating voter isn't going to see him answering complex foreign relation questions for 2 hours. They will see the 10 second clip of him introducing Zelensky as "President Putin" in their tik-tok feed or whatsapp group though. Those are the people who will decide this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The president is a figurehead, if he comes across as overly frail/declining that's more important to many voters than his level of understanding, or statesmanship or any of that. Trump makes gaffes as well, but he can deliver them with much more energy than Biden. He's no spring chicken, but the bar is Biden here.

Optics are very important.

Biden is doing exceptionally well for an 82 year old, but that doesn't cut it on the world stage, and with his mental acuity under scrutiny every gaff he makes is compounding the overall view that he's simply "too old" for another presidency.

He's dead in the water in the election. They will absolutely have to run somebody, anyone else.

Usually they shouldn't switch the incumbent out, but this situation is exceptional. People are worried about the "newness" factor but I think it would work well for the Dems especially as they are running against another incumbent.

Any Dems who think Biden has any chance are completely and utterly disconnected from US voters who will absolutely put a felon/rapist/grifter/bigot in over someone they perceive as frail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is Trumps election to lose at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭RickBlaine

That is a damning indictment of the current American electorate. But I agree with you in general. I am 60 / 40 on Biden leaving the race based on his electability, but if he does, the democrats absolutely have to pick a candidate as quickly as possible. They can't suffer through a bruising primary contest so close to the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

The bar is so low for Biden it's almost scary. I understand very few want Trump as President so the excuses being rolled out for Biden are based on that, but if Biden was up against any normal Republican (finding one now a day's seems like an impossibility though) Biden would be ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Trump got 74 million votes on his last run. That's 74 million that wanted him as president.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Yet less than Biden's votes, by a considerable margin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We all know that's not how it works over there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Trump is the new template for a modern Republican: Snarling, abusive, nativist, racist and utterly devoid of any redeeming qualities. I agree that Biden would struggle greatly against someone like Mitt Romney but that's not who he's up against.

Maybe Project 2025 is what it will take for Americans to wake up to the sham they call a democracy and take real action.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Few voters will switch from Biden to Trump, but many voters might not turn up to vote at all if they're pissed off at him for his hubris and angry that hes obviously misrepresenting his ability to perform on his job.

Biden doing badly in public also energises the Trump campaign and gives a really obvious retort for trump fans to deflect from criticism of their guy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,472 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I agree that Biden would struggle greatly against someone like Mitt Romney but that's not who he's up against.

He's struggling badly enough against Trump to make it likely he will lose the election narrowly. Very possible he would lose by a bigger margin to a more mainstream Republican but in this contest the margin of victory ultimately matters little…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

During his term, calling America "Gilead" was something that'd earn you a ding by moderators but TBH a Trump second term has been quite deliberately teed up as a next step towards achieving precisely that; there can be no doubt about conservative America's agenda here. Trump might be the least Christian person you can think of but he is, to use their terms, the "imperfect vessel" to bring about the largest walkback of democracy in modern times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I replied to post tounge and cheek with Biden's quotes pretty much showing he's what you say republicans are.

Did it really need to be censored by someone and deleted. Should I reply with his exact unmodified quotes or will that be deleted/censored as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would disagree entirely on the Christian point. There's a reason that they love him and it's because he's their idol. I come from a fairly strict religious family and they love him. Not quite enough to send him money of course (infer what you will). They're more than happy to see him tyrannise people they hate and they'll willingly overlook adultery, corruption and rape gladly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'd take Mitt Romney over either of the two running

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Serious whiff of a reichstag fire this evening

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's the election over anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The "deep state" tried and couldn't take him out, the perfect photo. Going to the bookies tomorrow to put a fortune on him winning it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah, that picture will be iconic.

I was getting a little more confident that Biden/Harris may pull it out due to how toxic Trump is , but this might be a wrap unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Rightly or wrongly millions of US voters will be wondering how Biden would have handled an incident such as this. Given his apparent frailty there’s a good chance the secret agents jumping on for protection would have brought him off the campaign trail for weeks alone, if not longer.

Trump will probably make a campaign appearance later today. They’ll portray it as Strength v Weakness.

All in all this is devastating for Biden’s campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If it was a genuine assassination attempt, why not use bullets?

Advertisement