Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Not exactly the most impartial of sources tbf. Trump will debate Harris unless he is dead. The only debates he swerved were the GOP ones which made total sense politically, he v Harris will be a monumental event so yeah he is their for sure.

Beto would be truly awful IMO. He ran a terrible campaign in 2020 and Abbot smashed him in 2022, he offers nothing whatsoever. They will be picking a white man , but at the very least they will pick someone who is not a serial loser like Beto.

Its the main reason Trump did not pick Rubio who was probably the best candidate who he could have picked but obviously both from Florida. They could have worked around with it though tbf but it was very messy and supposedly both agreed it just wasn't worth the hassle. I doubt they would want 2 California liberals leading the ticket tbf thus all the speculation about picking a white dude from the swing states.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Saw a glimpse of Vance's wife on the news yesterday, can't see that flying well with the MAGA crowd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Aint no chance the VP pick will be from a liberal, safe blue seat; just seems like if Harris wants to soften her coastal, Californian credentials with the sceptics she's gonna have to pick some hokey white guy ala Tim Kaine (for all the difference he made at the time). I hate to say it but someone of the ilk of Mike Pence mightn't be such a terrible idea; maybe not so ideologically extreme but a lowercase-c christian conservative might (might) soften the cough of the MAGA movement's Y'All Queda faction.

It's farcical stuff at this stage and a pretty wilful ignoring of reality, aka, the things the Obamas have said and done. There's aspirational and then there's this obsession with President Michelle Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ok yes, he's not ruling out a debate off the bat anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think Roy Cooper has a strong chance to be picked. Won in NC twice, performing both Democratic presidential candidates. He's termed out of office, unlike Shapiro and Bashear, and has a personal relationship with Harris. Could also see him being tapped for AG if she wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

Totally agree with you on both counts. I think (and thankfully they did) the Republicans missed a wide open goal with their VP pick. JD Vance offers nothing he is just another authoritarian supporting, hate filled and fueled racist, homophobic bigot so sure the racist Republican base will lap him up but who cares they were always voting Republican anyway. They would have won Ohio anyway so nothing there either.

For instance if he had of picked Nikki Haley while sure they would have won South Carolina anyway I think she would have added to their chances as she would give IMHO license to more moderate Republicans to come on out for them which could have been crucial in swing states in particular.

I have no idea why anybody thinks the Republicans will be unprepared for Harris. Thats just nonsense. Now I do think they might regret being so effective with their attacks on Biden and they may find his withdrawal and replacement with Harris backfires on them but it won't be for lack of throwing plenty of mud and I am sure some racism Harris' way.

Is Whitmer in Michigan not another VP contender? Personally I would be surprised if it was Pritzker or Whitmer although both I think are very good and would make good options although I feel given Illinois will for sure go with the Democrats and I do feel they need to pick a VP that is from a battle ground state not one they will win anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't think that the Dems would risk a 2-Female ticket. America is still too backwards for something like that, which takes the likes of Whitmer off the table if Harris is the presidential candidate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Whitmer has said she's not going to run for POTUS; not sure if that means she would decline a VP nomination. I think she's waiting this one out.

She and Klobuchar seem like either would be a good VP.

I would have been shocked if he did agree to debate Harris. She is a very skilled public speaker and as a former prosecutor as well she would likely tear him apart in a debate and he knows it. But for sure the Democrats should not hold back on calling him out on that one. Openly call him a chicken and things like that as you know that would drive him up the wall. Plus he may well likely blow up at a rally or a speech and go off the deep end which can only be helpful to Harris.

I hope your right and he does debate Harris as I think there is a good chance she could really tear him apart in a debate but we will see and personally I will be surprised if a debate happens.

She said recently she is not leaving Michigan although politicians saying things like that means very little. But I agree I don't think it will be her, as said above and I agree the US has way too many misogynists to vote for an all female ticket. Personally I think it will be Roy Cooper, Mark Kelly or Josh Shapiro.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Vance brings the " Horrible Dickhead Tech bro" money but absolutely nothing else. Vance won't add a single vote to the Trump total

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Aint no chance the VP pick will be from a liberal, safe blue seat; just seems like if Harris wants to soften her coastal, Californian credentials with the sceptics she's gonna have to pick some hokey white guy ala Tim Kaine (for all the difference he made at the time). I hate to say it but someone of the ilk of Mike Pence mightn't be such a terrible idea; maybe not so ideologically extreme but a lowercase-c christian conservative might (might) soften the cough of the MAGA movement's Y'All Queda faction.

It would be a terrible idea and I think you are subscribing far too much logic to voting intention and too much importance to the VP pick.

I mean, they all rounded on Pence and wanted to see him hanged.

No need to be cute on this, it should be a full bore liberal attack dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

4 years ago I posted an article about how little the VP pick actually means. It’s in the statistical noise.

I’m not sure that’s true for Harris. She needs to walk a fine line. If she’s picks someone too strong it’ll turn into “we know who’s really running things”, too week and she’ll get “she’s afraid a strong VP will out shine her”.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think there always is too much discussion over a pick that invariably disappears for 90% of each presidency; however in this case we're talking about extremely unique circumstances and an 11th hour replacement for the sitting president. If we're parking all the "anyone but Trump" then it leaves a swell of voters who may need persuading to vote for this liberal Californian woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Menendez resigned! Corrupt ****!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed he is , but at least he's stepping down following his conviction and not trying to run for Office again…

Unlike , you know.. The Rapist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I completely agree. Trying in any way to appeal to actual conservative voters would be a catastrophic mistake. Those who hate Trump enough will either abstain or bite the bullet and vote for Harris anyway. You would simply enrage and turn off vast swathes of the Democratic leaning electorate. Not to mention you put someone whose politics you broadly disagree with 1 step away from the presidency, it would be madness.

Cross party tickets are dead and will remain so for the foreseeable. You balance Harris with a straight talking, blue collar Dem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think with Vance the discussion is more due to how inept of a call it seems right now. I checked the betting favs before the other week and all alternatives such as Burgum, Youngkin, Rubio, Scott, Stefnik and even Tulsi made more sense than Vance. I'm not suggesting that all of those would have been slam dunks but all had more upside than Vance most notably Youngkin and Rubio.

Trump has ran a pretty good race so far tbf, yes he is rambling incoherently on truthsocial but he knows nobody cares about that and not returning to twitter is a very good call. He obviously crushed the rivals in the primary and won the debate which kickstarted the tsunami which got Biden to drop out which was was a fantastic scalp for him.

The Vance pick is the one call , that looks like dicey atm. It may not matter though as you say.

Amusingly its Susie Wiles who is in charge of the campaign who seems to be running a very tight ship and is clearly excellent who supposedly had a soft spot for JD.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/07/12/donald-trump-susie-wiles-campaign-manager/74098026007/

Wired published details of J. D. Vance's Venmo contacts. Interesting contacts he has, pretty much what I'd expect any high-level GQP operative to have. Wired saying his whole 'down with the elites' shtick is hypocrisy, well, 'qu'elle surprise' and all that.

https://www.wired.com/story/jd-vance-venmo/

Then maybe Harris should just go Fúck It and pick, I dunno, Ocasio Cortez or someone? I don't envy the task but it's a weird political choice for something that, post-election, won't matter a jot.

To be clear, I didn't think specifically Mike Pence but I also don't believe every Christian in America is so signed up to MAGA as the sword to their religion; there have to be evangelicals who can see through the mask, and the team of a Liberal Californian and Evangelical Christian working together could be the kind of "healing" the bad faith keep trumpeting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Kelly all the way, just for the vice president debates when they compare military records. His vs. 6 months deployment as a PR executive

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It doesn't, there have already been tweets pointing it out, but He Who Must Be Obeyed has endorsed him so the cult will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’d be surprised too if he agrees to a debate- he’ll invent something stupid as an excuse, likely the news network chosen as he’s already indicated - my own view is Harris needs this debate in order to really influence swing voters - it’s a massive opportunity for her and Trump knows that - if I were Trump I certainly wouldn’t go ahead with it

Agreed - I think choosing Kelly locks in Arizona , likely also ensures they win Sinemas Senate seat there as well.

He also helps in the suburbs across the country - He's a veteran and an Astronaut and there is huge support there for his wife as well (Gabby Giffords, a survivor of an Assassination attempt and a mass shooting).

• Advertisement

As we're speculating, would Giffords be an asset to the POTUS election? She's firmly pro-gun control/anti-2a afaik, and that'll be red meat for the 2A loons that dominate the GQP.

Giffords is a very admirable woman in so many ways, yet, I'm not certain that if Kelly were the VP nominee for Harris, Giffords might hurt with MAGAts and non-MAGA undecided; I don't think all pro-2A are MAGA, but all MAGA are pro-2A.

Advertisement