Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The whole "tradwife" thing is just rich conservative women posturing on social media for clicks though.

It's insane the degeneration into raw hate that we've seen in American conservatism.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe but the cultural trickle is such that you have a great swath of low-income, white America who will or have started to believe that it has been some loss of blue-collar masculinity, or excessive indulgence towards feminism, that's the cause of all America's ills. "Make America Great Again" has always stank of a desire to return to mid 20th century cultural and social norms, rarely hiding it. CPAAC speakers have spoken quite plainly that women should choose motherhood or a career, but not both; while the entire attack on abortion and contraception techniques a pretty transparent attempt to limit women's options.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Novacs_

fivethirtyeight still have the Biden/Trump polls from 4 years ago.

In the last month in the lead up to the election, Biden had an 8/10% lead over Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Respectfully, I don't think there's a "maybe". I don't see how a family anywhere can subsist, much less thrive, on a single person's income without that salary being extremely high and/or a large amount of inherited wealth involved.

Conservatism over there looks to me like a crusade aimed at establishing a caste system with women reduced to the role of producing the next generation of labourers, most men being stuck in menial jobs while a ruling elite owns as much as possible. I'm reminded of a scene from BoJack Horseman where murder becomes legal for billionaires.

Honestly, a part of me thinks that either Trump wins in November or Trump or a successor wins in 2029. Project 2025 looks like Brexit - inevitable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

I hope you are wrong and that it is a larger demographic than just "minor".

I am not qualified to have an opinion on that...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Respectfully, I don't think there's a "maybe". I don't see how a family anywhere can subsist, much less thrive, on a single person's income without that salary being extremely high and/or a large amount of inherited wealth involved.

What is it they say? America is a 3rd World Country presenting as a 1st World one? I don't think you can overestimate just how cripplingly poor some parts of White America is once you leave the major urban centres - yet you'd tear your hair out trying to rationalise how that same demographic trends towards the side of the chamber routinely gutting welfare, healthcare or education.

Poor White America got Trump over the line in 2016 precisely because they were left behind - yet they keep buying the lies peddled by the GOP and MAGA; you're right you can't subsist on a single person's income - but if you're stuck in the American version of a Sink Estate, trapped within a cage created by the GOP - how do you know better?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I caught a clip of Anthony Scaramucci (I know) but he was making the point that 20M "Boomers" have died since the 2016 election and nearly 40M Millennials/GenZ are now of voting age in the same time frame including 8M since the 2022 Elections alone.

That demographic shift is very significant which is why I think the Right are so desperate this time around.. If they don't win now, it's hard to see how they win in 4 years time.

I saw something similar for the UK , based on typical life expectancy something like 20% of Tory voters in the recent election won't be alive at the next one assuming the Government serves a full term.

Third world country with a Gucci belt is the one I am familiar with. Also: One party state so extravagant that they had to have a second party.

I've heard tales from people I know who've been outside the major cities so I'd well believe it. I would argue against the use of "left behind" though. They've actively voted for their own economic destruction for decades now and they've reaped the appropriate reward.

To know better, you have to want to learn and grow but there's a strong culture of anti-intellectualism in the US so, for many people, having the likes of Tucker Carlson do the thinking for you is common enough. It's just mad to me how so many go bankrupt annually and yet nobody asks why they can't afford something that's free at the point of use in the UK.

They have free speech but there's a fair bit of taboo along with it. Even in the sitcoms I love so much, characters who are supposed to be poor live in luxury and nobody ever has a problem with medical bills or being sued (except for comic effect).

It's significant but Trump was ahead of Biden in the polls as I remember. I know polls are flawed and all but that must mean something? The problems with hordes of disaffected men won't have abated because the boomers are passing the torch, albeit involuntarily.

I think a lot can be explained by under-education; it's not without reason the GOP have really made sure schools and colleges are as crippled as possible without completely closing. Couple that with a foundational culture that seeds a resting hostility towards any kind of government intervention being automatically bad at worst, suspect at best, and you got a demographic who'll vote against their own best interests. It's a rats nest of contradictions really that'd take paragraphs to unfurl.

I always enjoy this tweet, the foundation of a sub-reddit whose content is kinda along those lines; despairing at ostensible "good news" stories failing to recognise the larger systemic problems int he first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

He comes across surprisingly well on the Rest is Politics.

I'm jumping the shark a little but the point holds:

One of the best things I ever did was emigrating. I'd consider returning if I could afford it but to be stuck in a mindset that would kill your curiosity, sense of wonder and desire to learn sounds soul-destroying, honestly. That's the reason the GOP hate education. There's a reason it turns a lot of people into liberals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The Palestine issue gets a lot of attention in the media but realistically the vast majority of the global population doesn't care. Even less care the further you are from the Middle East

But a minority is all trump needed to swing it in 2016 so get enough of them on side and Harris will sing her way to the oval office

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Seniors over 65 favored Biden over Trump in polling I think, its a major reason why Biden would have fancied his chances even with other polling so bad most notably swing states as they are the most reliable voting bloc about.

Whether Harris can hold them will play a big role in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think she'll have the advantage of Biden singing about what a great job they did but need to continue to do to protect Social Security and Medicare from the depravities of CFTrump and his ilk. Biden focused on seniors will be a big plus for Harris. Biden lowering insulin prices is a big political point, many many seniors in the US rely on it.

Advertisement