Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Because a petulant spoiled narcissist should never be in control of of the country; while Trump may attempt another insurrection I think he'll be very surprised how much better prepared everyone is for that this time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Of course, Biden, as President, could authorise the use of lethal force to put down such a n insurrection, including its leaders.

He would of course be immune from prosecution if he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Remarkable. In a bad way.

The ad from the Birch Gold Gold group was particularly amusing. Birch. Uhuh.

"Is JD Vance ready on day one?"

"The VP has no impact on the election." "This woman was very rude to me."

"I aced both my cognitive tests."

(J6 rioters): "I would pardon them if they were innocent." "They were convicted."

—then the Trump team cuts it off, and he's heckled off the stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That was somehow even worse than I expected, leading into the obvious wondering of why and how they let him do it in the first place? Did they honestly think an interview with black journalists, in Chicago, was gonna go great? I wonder about the timelines & if this a response to Harris' announcement; quick, get Trump talking to some black people.

I had honestly forgotten just how nakedly impatient and hostile Trump is towards even a modicum of challenging questions - but especially from women. It's so transparent. They're always, always "rude" and/or "nasty" and not like the court cases weren't already indicator, but the man truly is a horrendous misogynist. I did get a dark chuckle about how he kept bringing it up - then saying he's "fine with it". I'm not bitter, you're bitter; obsessed, not obsessed no no.

As with all things Trump, none of this is gonna sway voters 'cos say what you will about the man he has been an open book from day one; the only difference being the question of his mental acuity - if that was fair game for Biden then so it goes with Trump.

Again though, I'm only seeing Trump & the GOP utterly incapable of dealing with this scenario as a group. They're still scrambling. Saw some of Harris' rally work and whatever else she's a much better orator than Clinton was; I can see why the GOP are sweating about the second debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Convicted Felon Trump was nervously tapping his tiny hands together while waiting on the questions. Supposedly he had to wait too, which no doubt spiked whatever the Adderall puts into his bloodstream. It was pretty interesting to watch. He might've needed his diaper changed, too.

Really came across as a racist old bigot who has been humoured for so long by his bubble that he doesn't even realize it. "Sh1thole countries," "Best President for Blacks since Lincoln," Central Park 5 ads in the NY Times, telling Cohen when driving through somewhere - Harlem? - that it's only this way in Black neighbourhoods, that he's with Black people because he's been arrested and convicted, and on and on.

Convicted Felon Trump tells us what he is all the time. No reason not to believe him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've seen Trump say that before re. Lincoln, and notwithstanding the fact he man seems incurably ignorant & incurious, it's weird how that's the historical jumping off point for him & Black History; not, as the journalist tried to suggest but got spoken over, anything more recent & relatable to the audience like the outcomes of the Civil Rights era … no, no. It's Lincoln. I suppose it's probably "just" Trump speaking to his own narcissism that as with all things he can only speak in superlatives so of course puts himself on a pedestal with a mythic figure like Abraham Lincoln.

Suppose most that can be speculated upon is that colossal misstep of an interview might sway a few hundred more undecided voters … but it won't pivot MAGA at all, being as it is a Personality Cult. If anything, a craven many will probably have loved him speaking back to what they saw as uppity black people, never happy. I've always got this impression that there's a robust minority in America who think black people should be more "grateful" for the gracious whites abolishing slavery (80 odd years after the rest of the Western World abolished it but hey ho) - and anything past that was a mistake. The grotesque amount of red-lining, voter suppression & gerrymandering, which often disproportionately harms black areas, kinda backs it up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Talking of Trump and Abraham Lincoln was the image of Trump standing in front of the Lincoln memorial showing himself as a tiny individual compared to the huge memorial. It just shows him in comparison to the former President that most Americans admire for uniting America and ending the secession of the Southern States.

I doubt there will ever be a memorial for Trump.

Technically he gets a library though, right? Isn't it in the done thing to get something named after you as a former President - with libraries the typical institution?

As to a memorial? Are you kidding: I guarantee there's gonna be some god-awful, gold plated statue erected to Trump, in some godforsaken Sink Estate City somewhere in the US; if Milwaukee can build a statue to the Fonz, or Detroit have one made for RoboCop (albeit crowdfunded and still delayed), then I'd put money on some "citizen" group demanding a statue put up for their idol, the irony lost on those ostensible old testament types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

might get away with a roundabout, there's plenty of them in the states right?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As I understand it , they don't "get" a library more that they get the ability to set one up.

The Presidents team fundraise and arrange with local government (usually home state/city) for a site and then they pay to have to built and filled with memorabilia and so on which is then managed by NARA.

Not a chance Trump does that.

I have no doubt that a few MAGA acolyte city councils or State Government will look to name a Road or a school or something after him or like you say put up a tacky statue , but there absolutely will not be a "USS Trump" or whatever nor will there be any Federal facility named after him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

They could always name a federal penitentiary after him.

One for white collar crime would be apt.

I suppose a library might be difficult to build one small enough to hold just the few books he has read. Perhaps they could include all the papers that he submitted to the courts in all the legal cases he lost over his hundreds of cases he brought to no avail.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The "Donald J Trump Federal penitentiary for Rapists and Conmen who can't read good"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

All the better if he were the first inmate…

The Presidents team fundraise and arrange with local government (usually home state/city) for a site and then they pay to have to built and filled with memorabilia and so on which is then managed by NARA.

Not a chance Trump does that.

Now you say that, but it also all reads like the foundation for another handy little grift: not like we haven't already seen pretty brazen campaigns to nickel & dime MAGA supporters.

Either way, expect a statue. And all the nonsense surrounding when locals inevitably say GTFO with some golden idol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's been basically complete silence from Trump on whether they'd bother with a library. By comparison, W Bush and Obamas ones were in planning while still in office.

Obamas one is going to have an actual public library in it, and other facilities for the college its being built at like basketball courts. Other presidents ones have huge exhibitions of stuff related to their time in office (retired 707s that did Air Force One duty for instance) or their achievements - Clintons has a lot of stuff relating to the Belfast Agreement.

What could they have for that for Trump - gold taps and exhibits on January 6th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Every President since Herbert Hoover has a library so I suspect that Trump will eventually have one too.

The national archives even have a website listed for it already

I doubt that George W Bush was a big reader and he has a library so the fact that Trump probably never willingly read a book in his life is no impediment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It will be installed in a phone box in The Bronx, next to some slumlord kip where investor Trump ripped off the subbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I'm sure there will be some land on a Trump resort set aside for it, with a sizeable rent charged to the foundation to divert any funds raised back into Trump's pocket.

One things for certain anyway. It'll have to be bigger than Obama's one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The contents of the "library" are archive materials, not books anyway.

And managed by NARA which Trump will not like at all.

He won't be able to tell his "story" it'll have to be the truth , which is why it will probably never happen.

No doubt he'll grift money off people saying he's going to set one up , but it will never actually happen.

The Trump media team are really doubling down on the "She's only pretending to be black" narrative.

It's like they are trying to convince everyone that she's not bi-racial, which seems like a tough sell.

Could very well backfire with black voters too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Must be confusing for the racists… I thought they were fans of the "one drop rule".

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

With my DJT/MAGA cap on - I think it's their way of keeping her race front and centre of the campaign, without actually attacking her on the basis of her race.

Once again suggesting if not outright proving that they have nothing to attack her on; the last 2 election cycles had open goals through the tattle of familial criminality - invented or otherwise - and clearly that became such a bedrock MAGA/GOP have no idea how to attack a relatively normal, blemish-free politician.

So all they have then is race; or rather, whatever the F this tactic is 'cos it's a really weird line of attack.

• Advertisement

The thing is that there isn't even an element of truth to it:

This line of attack not only patronises black people but also will likely put off younger voters and the significant number of Americans with a multi-racial background.

Advertisement