Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Is the idea theyre running with is that if she can't be trusted to get her race right, she can't be trusted at all?

I dunno, I'm really lost on this one. It's like these white people don't realise mixed race people often see themselves as one race, or the other race, or both, depending on the situation.

I have a friend that's half Vietnamese half French. If you ask her what she is, it really depends on

A: how long she's known you - if youre just meeting her and asking her, or being a bit rude, she'll say French

B: if you've been open and friendly, she'll say Vietnamese French

C: If you have Vietnamese heritage, she'll say Vietnamese, but born and raised in France.

The world must seem so complicated to these people that live in a white closet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think it makes warped sense.

They couldn't campaign against her race - like even they couldn't put up posters/run campaigns ads saying 'are you really going to vote for this part Jamaican, part Indian dark-skinned mongrel?'.

But by doing it this way they have actually got the required information out front and centre of the campaign, and it's being discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Indeed, however they are in the experimental phase, trying different things seeing which will stick.

Eventually they'll get something and go with that. Biden was an easier target, Harris is harder for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guess they'll hit on something but Harris was a Presidential Candidate (albeit only in the Primaries) already and is a fairly experienced politician; you'd have to imagine there would have been something found by now. I dunno, can't shake the feeling the GOP have reverted to such base, crude strategies they don't know any better than prejudice and personal attacks.

There's probably tonnes of policy decisions she could be attacked on - but when has MAGA ever taken that road?

I think MAGA-GOP is so myopically entranced by Trump's own ignorance, I reckon they just think "black" is a very specific race and Harris "isn't black enough" to be proper black, so think she's cosplaying.

As always with this movement we are dealing with incurably stupid people and it can break one's brain trying to find reason where none may actually exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Can build it beside the fairway on the 12th hole at Bedminister , beside his former wifes gravesite 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Independent pro-Harris campaign team clapping back:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If anyone else said this there would be uproar but I suppose it's par for the course when it comes to Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Harris and Trump to debate on 4th September, on Fox. Curious that he refused an ABC debate on the 10th September, so one wonders if he has agreed cos it's on what he'll hope is a favoured channel?

If so, then we'll see exactly what the GOP have cos you'll be damn sure the moderator will ask those of Harris; hopefully they needle Trump on the Project 2025 treachery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I take some hope here. It’s statistically a dead heat, but Harris is ahead before the Dem convention. With a post convention bump she’ll be a lot ahead. A good debate and she has a real fighting chance.

The market crash yesterday plays into Trump’s hands though. Another couple of rough months and it’s Trump’s election.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

IIRC she has already started leading in some national polls, while shrinking Trump's lead in various battleground states. Unless they find something, even bullshít ala Pizzagate, or Fox pull an absolute hit job Harris can't deal with on the night, it's clear who now has the momentum in this race.

Do think the Fox switch from ABC is a calculation, and a bit of a Hail Mary from Trump's team. Kinda depends on the moderator too, as it won't be Chris Wallace.

I'm seeing Trump is talking about a live audience, so if what you say is true gonna presume that'll be the compromise for Harris' team agreeing. Speaks to what Trump knows, which is he needs an audience to feed off as if it's another closed-doors one he'll be murdered. He's obviously hoping to whip a crowd into a frenzy over Harris.

If the Harris campaign agrees to a debate on Fox, with two Fox hosts as mediators, in front of an arena audience made up of Fox viewers, they'd want their head examined.

Well. I think we have an angle, if Trump's latest social media diarrhea is anything to go by ..

….As everyone knows, the Democrats have Unconstitutionally taken a Candidate, who was acknowledged to be defeated, and unceremoniously replaced him with a new Candidate. This has never been done before, and is a Threat to Democracy, but I am totally prepared to accept the results of this “coup,” and replace Joe on the Debate stage with Crazy Kamala Harris.

There it is. Harris as candidate is "unconstitutional" (gigantic air quotes there), alongside the insinuation that her presence is a threat to democracy itself. Watch the narrative change in the coming days from the slimier adherents to the cult. Should go without saying all this is a classic tactic of fascists: to create a narrative of their coups and takeover being under the guise of saving democracy from some apparent enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭eire4

The market didn't crash yesterday it dipped about 1.5% because job numbers while still positive were much weaker then expected and unemployment ticked up. Having said that overall the market has been doing well lately(Broke 40,000 in the dow) and you can be sure next month that the Fed will reduce interest rates and maybe even by half a percent based on the weaker jobs data and that will likely result in a big shot up in the market but in the grand scheme of things overall nothing is happening in the markets that is going to make any significant difference to the election. It dipped 1.5% on that jobs data however it jumped about 1.5% just last Tuesday as well. Overall despite yesterdays dip the markets are up on the year and the fundamentals look decent so by the time the election comes around overall the markets will likely still be in positive territory for the year. On top of that the fact is the wealthiest 10% or so of Americans own about 90% of US stocks so while about 60% of Americans own some stocks most do not own very much. Fact is the stock market is not going to be a decisive factor in this election for either side. It will have good and bad days between now and November and likely will overall be up on the year in November.

Post edited by eire4 on

Could see the Harris camp coming back and saying ok you want a debate on Fox we will agree as long as you agree to one on NBC as well.

Looks like the plot thickens: Harris' never actually agreed to any Fox debate on the 4th, and has released a public statement saying the ABC debate on the 10th is still going ahead as far as they're concerned, with or without Trump.

Reads like Trump blerted out some half àssed ultimatum to try and bluff with no hand; he's so clearly terrified about debating Harris, it's quite something to see him squirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Fox will probably re hire that pr*ck Carlson just for the night.

maybe I was a bit dramatic. But a lot of tech was down 10% yesterday

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

But of a sticky situation for Trump. I think he would employ the same no-debate strategy we saw in the primaries if his lead over Kamala remained as stable as that over Biden, but this does not appear to be the case, and if that trend continues, then it could end up being that Trump needs a debate more than Harris does.

To be a fly on the wall at Trump campaign HQ right now would be beyond interesting. His staffers have to figure out how to manage the last 90 days of the campaign, but Trump cannot tolerate being told what to do by employees and/or always thinks his own instincts are correct.

So, if his polling v Harris continues to slip, they'll be having plenty of late nights trying to figure out how to right the ship without having more NABJs, but doing that in a way which doesn't involve Trump being told what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Na where I like to be a fly on the wall is in campaign headquarters accross the US of Senitors, Congressmens and Governor's going for election and reelection. Lindsey Graham has already trued to distance himself from Trump comments on Harris

These guys are politically shrewd and there biggest fear is Trump will take some of them down with him

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/graham-admonishes-trump-for-kamala-harris-comments-race/article_df3b4c44-4fa0-11ef-a6ab-d70af3d15788.html

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4806901-trump-harris-race-comments-impact/

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm pretty sure Trump's campaign and inner circle are all "true believers" this time round so I'd expect him to just double down on whatever he is doing

Things must be serious if a spineless lickspittle like Graham is chiding Trump. Ain't no way he'd stick his neck out like that if there wasn't clear space to do so.

You’re probably right. He only surrounds himself with sycophants

they/them/theirs

Absolutely that is true the size of the decline at 1.5% roughly being largely due to job numbers that were much weaker then expected. But equally as I pointed out just the previous Tuesday the market was up again roughly 1.5% and overall on the year to date the markets are in positive territory. Next month feds will almost certainly drop interest rates and maybe now by as much as half a percent. The facts are the fundamentals in the market overall are decent and by the time November rolls around I have no doubt there will be some ups and downs but overall the market will most likely still be in positive territory overall. In short nothing is happening in the market currently nor is there are indication of anything significant that is likely to happen in the markets that would be of any real notable impact on the outcome of the election come November for either side.

unfortunately it isn’t about solid fundamentals when it comes to the election, people will vote on perception.

they/them/theirs

Well if they vote on the perception of the markets then nothing to worry about there. As I pointed out the market is up overall and just last Tuesday had as a big a jump of 1.5% as the decline at the end of the week on the back of the jobs numbers. There simply is nothing happening in the markets that is notable albeit overall the markets are in positive territory and so are doing reasonably well on the year. Plus with the feds pretty much certain to lower interest rates by next month that will be yet another boost for the markets especially if they drop by half a percent.

Logically you’re right. The problem is the fog of misinformation the GOP create. They will do everything to run down the current economy.

Biden has a done a great job on the economy, yet about 80% of republicans think he’s destroyed it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Kamala all the way. Trump is a busted flush. JD has not helped but I think the older Republicans have realised that the MAGA leader is a crazyass dictator-in-making!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭farmerval

Harris is a fool to debate Trump. She has no need. Just keep going and be positive, talk about a brighter future, don't get sucked into nonsense with that old orange fool. He'll only want to drag her into pointless endless crap, she has no need to be dragged into. She has a huge platform on women's rights around their own bodies. She needs to keep as far away from Trump as possible, ignore him completely if possible. His one unique selling point is his ability to suck all oxygen from anyone near him.

The run into the election is quite short, a good convention, a good pick for running mate, ride the good vibe wave of those two things, keep getting endorsements from young role models, people that will get the young vote out. The young will never vote for Trump.

Advertisement