Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Put a Lump Sum?

Options
  • 14-02-2023 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I've recently bought my first home. For the house, I paid 300k, but the mortgage is only 175, with the remainder coming from cash assets. I have about 35k let in cash in the bank. I'm on a fixed term mortgage for the next four years, so I would incur penalties if I were to pay off a lump sum early. Thus, I was planning on saving about 1200-1700 a month for the next four years and then making a large lump payment when the fixed term ends.

My question is what I could do with the money that I am saving. It seems bonkers to simply leave it in a current account as there is virtually no interest to be had. I did look at bonds or fixed term deposits, but none of these offer very much. Certainly, I could invest it, but my track record with investing is not great, and I would fear losing my money.

Does anyone know of some guaranteed deposit accounts that offer a higher rate of interest, or any other "safe" investment opportunities that may exist?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

government bonds might be about the best option for something safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

All the best rates for deposit type accounts are kept up to date on the Ask About Money site.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/savings-best-buys.90481/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Consider extra pension payments for the tax relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Thanks for the replies, lads. No one suggested Bitcoin, however :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DirectorKrennic

Hi Richard, would you consider slowly dripping those funds into the stock market? You can buy index funds such as the S&P500, or the Dow Jones, or MSCI World. I personally would invest a very small amount each month into something like that but it is a risk obviously. Good luck with your choice!

• Advertisement

Hi,

That's a good suggestion. Would you know where to go to purchase such a fund?

Hi Richard,

I use Degiro - they are an online stockbroker in the Netherlands but have clients all over Europe. You can place one ETF trade for free once a month. 1 unit in one of the S&P 500 funds is like E80, so I just invest E80 a month (free of charge). Just one warning: ETF's in Ireland are subject to a 42% surcharge tax every 8 years but your timeline seems to be 4 years. You could also buy some shares in Warren Buffet's company Berkshire Hathaway, that's basically 40% Apple, 10% Coca Cola, 10% Chevron and some American Express and Bank of America. I've personally bought shares in LVMH (the Louis Vutton Group) and an American company called Ulta Beauty (a make up and consumer beauty cosmetics company). Markets obviously go up and down, and sideways, so personally I would only drip in your funds slowly. Finance advisors in this country don't really know what they are doing to be honest, just my opinion.

Another alternative would be you lend your money in crowdfunding ventures. Property Bridges allow you to lend in units of E500 for 6-9% returns although I have never done this. I did used to lend money on LinkedFinance to Irish companies, put in about 1500 in 2016 and got back 2000 by 2021 - the only problem is, everyone has copped onto it so I can't lend money there anymore. I haven't set up autoloan so when I log in most companies are fully funded very soon. Best of luck with the research but fairplay not just putting in a bank account, inflation will erode its value!

Just in case you read that advice to mean there will be no tax if you sell them before 8 years:

• When/If you sell an ETF you will be liable for 41% income tax on any gains made. It doesn’t matter if you keep the money with your brokerage, you still need to pay the tax on the gains.
    • If you don’t sell your ETF – then every 8 years you will be “deemed” to have sold it and will be liable for tax at 41% on any gains in the preceding 8 years. This means you will have to find the funds to pay the tax even if you haven’t sold them.

Thanks for adding! Good to see a discussion on investment options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So with this in mind- how does it make any sense investing in stocks in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

I just put money with younited.com

3.25% aer

Check raisin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Shank Williams

Yeah thought that just checking. So where does one invest in Ireland? The dreaded property?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It would be worth checking the break fees on your mortgage.

I'm no expert, but I believe the recent interest rate rises play into your favour. It might not cost you anything to pay off a lump sum on your fixed rate

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

This is correct. I done this very thing a few weeks ago. Repayments remain as is, term end date reduced. No fees applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭CPTM

There are a few banks that allow some overpayment on mortgage debt even though you are on a fixed rate. It could be 10 per cent of the remaining balance per year. It is worth checking with your bank. As far as I know, Permanent TSB are the only ones who don't officially offer that 10 per cent over payment allowance, though from speaking with both employees there and also Boardsies here, they in fact don't care if you over pay on your fixed rate mortgage and don't penalise for it either. If you wanted, you could name your bank and see if anyone here can point you to the rules on that.

This is a calculator for paying extra on mortgages. One of the most sensible things to do if it is available. It often makes more sense to reduce outgoings, than chasing high returns on investments.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money-tools/extra-mortgage-payments-calculator/

Yeah true, but you’ve already paid nearly 50% tax on what you earned to be able to invest the money left after the initial tax- same with everything I suppose, but 41% is still high imo.

It probably makes more sense to overpay your mortgage and lower your debt as opposed to investing.

• Advertisement

Avant allow you to overpay 10% on your mortgage.

The effective tax rate on wages is nowhere near 50%. And not everyone investing in stocks will be using earned money.

Oh ok.

What’s the effective tax rate?

If people don’t use earned money- what do people use? Loans?

People could get a family inheritance tax free, or a Lotto win also tax free. There are different calculations for the effective tax rate. You could work out your own from your P60 figures.

In my own view, I would prefer if someone making a killing on Crypto pays more tax than a PAYE worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this.

It only makes sense to overpay your mortgage if it's on a really high rate.

Once you've paid the money back to the bank you can't get it back without remortgaging. What if you need that money for an unexpected expense?

Say your mortgage was ~3%. If you earn interest you pay 33% dirt. Roughly speaking you need interest to be ~4% to earn enough net of tax to be in the same position. If your mortgage rate is lower that interest rate doesn't need to be as high.

Work the numbers before deciding to early repay or or invest.

Or find a decent company that pays a good (rising) dividend. Dividends are taxed at marginal rate.

If you overpay your mortgage you reduce your monthly payments also.

If your mortgage is 3% and you have spare cash, and you use that spare cash to overpay, you are getting a rate of 3% on that cash you have used to overpay.

I don’t think there are any savings schemes that give a return like that at the minute.

Also if you invest, the risk is higher as you could lose your capital if stocks plummet etc.

Im no expert though so I like to hear other peoples view- I just think the idea of getting out of debt and having your mortgage paid off early with no risk- vs high risk in investments looks better- but again just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭CPTM

You might agree though that there are other considerations away from just maximising the total money earned in life before you die? For example, I've opted to overpay my mortgage because the value of being debt free and having an extra 1200 per month to spend while my children are young is worth way more to me than having say 30 per cent more money during retirement when I probably won't need a lot of money to enjoy life at that stage.

I would also argue that if you over pay on your mortgage, and a random massive payment is required elsewhere, you can take a holiday on mortgage repayments and borrow a small loan if needs be. Higher interest rate sure, but it probably won't happen and if it does the balance of the small loan probably won't really be impacted by an interest rate which is 3 or 4 percentage points higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I calculated that if I put 10k into my mortgage now, it would save me 13k in interest payments and knock 1.5 years off my term.

The same 10k would take 17 years at a 5% interest rate to reach the same level of savings.

I think it makes more sense to put the money into an index fund, but my mortgage interest rate is 2.5%. If it was something like 4%, then I'd put the 10k towards the mortgage.

Advertisement