Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds

Options
  • 15-02-2023 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

I have a serious problem with my Internet connection. I've switched ISP and still no joy. I had SKY before It was a 6 or 7 mb connection. Now I currently have a 150 mb EIR connection. The problem is my connection keeps dropping down to mad slow speeds. For example I done a ISP speed test and get a result of 0.38 mbps download. Anytime its working ok its 20 odd mbps, Sometimes 50 odd mbps The most I've seen it do is in 70's and that's not very often and it always shoots back down in speed. Most the time its 10+ mbs or in the 20's plus, I get the same crap speeds when I'm gaming on my Xbox One X and PS 4 along with PC gaming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The first question I always ask in this case is, have you tried testing it with a device connected to the router via an Ethernet cable? You need to rule out the Wi-Fi as a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

There are times when I think my broadband speed has gone way down - when I Click on Boards to exit a thread an go to a new one: takes about 6 seconds. 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭RobiePAX

If you have a laptop connect it to your router with a wire and do a speedtest. Tell what results you'll get or screenshot it.

Also you said you are with Eir. What router you are using? F3000 or F2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭STEE

I'm using the Eir Fibre box I think its the F3000 router.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭STEE

Its called an F5366s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭RobiePAX

Ok that sounds like F3000 router which is the current generation that Eir is using.

So your problem could be elsewhere. Are you getting crap speeds when connected with ethernet cable directly to router? Again, speedtest from a wired connection would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Speed is measured in Mbps,preferably over Ethernet cable, not by time Boards.ie opens new thread.

Boards in general are slow, might be nothing to do with your broadband speed.

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

Advertisement