Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarity on reporting posts and on what defines a racial slur

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

As has been mentioned earlier. It's CONTEXT.

Clearly, someone talking about Tinker's Hill would be in some sort of conversation about the place no?

Most likely, what happened here was someone heard "tinker" and went off on one, straight to HR to get one up on someone. And for what at the end of the day?

In any case, the word tinker is hardly the most egregious thing one could hear. It's certainly not something that warrants a visit to HR either from reporter or reportee. To tinker with something is a valid phrase, irrespective of the pejorative is can be associated with.

Anyway, I'm off to tinker with my PC while watching 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy', while I snigger up my sleeve at how absurd this all is.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,110 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well it would be nice to get such clarity.

I hope if they are reviewing the thread they will have a better appreciation of the different views of its use and implications.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I weep for the adults of tomorrow.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But those terms you reference ARE used to refer to groups of people solely on the basis of their skin colour, whereas gammon is not, as it doesn’t refer to people who are white as a group, it refers to a vanishingly small minority of people who happen to be white (sometimes pink, sometimes blue in the face, it varies based on their temperament 😂), and the posts on this thread don’t indicate anything other than some people are in desperate need of thicker skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Yes but if a person wasn’t aware of the “CONTEXT” then they have every right to bring it up to HR. I haven’t heard of Tinker’s Hill, for example, before engaging in this thread. It’s not like it would have taken anyone more than two minutes to explain, and it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

• Advertisement

Your jingoistic little Englander royals worshipping, Tory racist is what gammon is supposed to refer to, but people happily just throw it out at anyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

I've called a family member, who isn't white, a gammon on a number of occasions due to his pro-Brexit (ironically) anti-immigration views. I don't think it's based purely in colour but more to do with the idea of being "red faced" in anger, especially on subjects that get them riled up thanks to the likes of News GB, Daily Mail, red top sensationalism.

But would you have ever thought to use gammon in that way if it hadn't started out solely targeting red faced white men?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

While we're talking about racial slurs, I'd like to point out that "Globalist" is a highly charged, antisemitic dogwhistle that's bandied about this site.

Much like dual loyalty, Globalist is used to promote the antisemitic conspiracy that Jewish people do not have allegiance to their countries of origin, like the United States, but to some worldwide order—like a global economy or international political system—that will enhance their control over the world’s banks, governments, and media (see control).

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

No, those terms aren't used to describe people solely on the basis of their skin colour.

It specifically relates to both their skin colour and other behaviour \ values \ conduct \ attitudes.

A choc ice is black\brown on the outside, white on the inside ie they 'act' white. On a thread about Obama say, should it be allowed?

They don't just "happen" to be white. The insult originated because of an involuntary skin reaction that occurs to white people. To suggest the term 'gammon' could have originated otherwise is absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I wonder, does "gammon" also apply to busybody white men who have to have an opinion on everything?

Surely we can borrow an Italian for those? Let them henceforth be known as Umarell 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Gammon started out as one thing but quickly became a slur against working class men, is it racist, probably not but there are reasons to argue it is.

It's nearly always middle and upper class Whites who use it.

Old fashioned class snobbery.

How could you not be aware of the context? Clearly Tinker's Hill is the name of a place.

Or yet, maybe get clarity of context first, before running to HR to tell tales just to get one up on someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

What? I'd probably just call him a tube, an empty vessel for stupidity or a spanner, eejit, or any other list of similar names. Gammon? Yeah, a big rubbery bit of gammon would probably form a similar opinion. I don't understand your question. It's not about targeting red faced white men, it just so happens that the majority of people that fall into this category happen to be white men of a certain age who can get red faced. Believe it or not, regardless of complexion you can get red faced.

Should I be considering it racist that you're excluding people of colour in this debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gammon is a slur against working class men? i don't think you can be more wrong.

It can mean that.

But "globalist" also has a perfectly benign meaning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

To you maybe, but that does sound like a you problem.

Unless you have a problem being labelled as a 'you'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It can, I agree but when you look at the xenophobic tenor of many threads here, I think it's being used as a dogwhistle.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well now that you explain them, certainly I can understand them a bit better. I’d never heard of them before now so that’s why I thought they were based on skin colour… banana and coconut make more sense too 😁

Similarly, gammon, once explained, should make sense, if one wasn’t familiar with the term already. It’s not about the actual skin colour, their political views or social class are not an involuntary reaction for example, and it doesn’t solely refer to anyone whose skin tone changes based on their temperament. Gammon just wouldn’t make any sense outside of the specific context in which it is used. It would make no sense to refer to black people as gammon for example, brisket maybe, I dunno, I’ve no doubt there are more creative people who spend all day dreaming up inventive ways to insult other people, and just as many who feign offence in the hope of being taken seriously.

Well I’ve never heard of it, and without the “CONTEXT” I would presume it’s a unofficial local place name.

Or yet, maybe get clarity of context first, before running to HR to tell tales just to get one up on someone?

Like I said, if I was in a position to hear someone using what I suspected was bigoted language then I wouldn’t confront them. It’s not my place to correct bad language in the workplace, it’s HR’s.

”Get one up on someone.” Good grief, these minor disputes happen every day. It’s part of being an adult in the workforce, you need to learn to roll with it instead of taking it all so personally.

• Advertisement

Well, again, you have to look at the context. It really is everything. It's always important to read whole sentences, understand meaning and not just focus on a given word.

It's also handy to pay attention to whom is uttering the sentences.

Yep, inane and meaningless.

It's weird how adults are so eager to use these silly childish terms in serious discussions.

It's exclusively people who moan and rant about Muslims, refugees, foreigners, "the left", "woke", etc... I've never heard it from anyone else except maybe an academic or two when discussing free trade and trade patterns.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The fortunate thing about most people who trot out these dogwhistle terms is that they manage to do so in such an unsubtle fashion (e.g. stringing several together) that they leave no room for ambiguity (and ambiguity is the entire purpose of these terms). All they're missing is a Homer Simpson-style stage whisper: "I'M TALKING ABOUT JEWS".

Essentially, yes. The whole "us vs them" mentality seems to be so strong that even cranks on your own side have to be defended despite being cranks. It destroys all room for nuance as you've said.

I never heard of it either. But it's CLEARLY a place name. So therefore there's no need to be flying off the handle about it, is there?

Looks like a nice wee spot.

Like I said, if I was in a position to hear someone using what I suspected was bigoted language then I wouldn’t confront them. It’s not my place to correct bad language in the workplace, it’s HR’s.

What's better? Asking someone to clarify what they mean? Or flying off the handle, running to HR and making a complete tit of yourself?

”Get one up on someone.” Good grief, these minor disputes happen every day. It’s part of being an adult in the workforce, you need to learn to roll with it instead of taking it all so personally.

And the vast majority of the time these minor disputes are better walked away from.

You know what else is part of being an adult. Not running to teacher to tattle tale on someone, just to get one up. 😉

And all over a fairly innocuous term like "tinker".

Some people really do have waaaay too much time on their hands.

Perhaps.

But I've definitely heard the terms "globalist" and "globalism" used in completely legitimate conversations. There are people who would even refer to themselves and their world view as such.

So have I but when you look at the threads on this site, the term isn't remotely legitimate IMO. Stuff like "globalist elites" and "globalist agenda" are very clear anti-Semitic dogwhistles.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

The OP is looking for Clarity on reporting posts and on what defines a racial slur. Clarity has been given by awec on reporting posts.

As for what defines a Racial slur, Racial slurs are words or phrases that refer to members of racial and ethnic groups in a derogatory manner. If you think it is racist or have any question about it, then it probably is or at least it can be perceived as racist. We can talk on this point in circles until the end of time, the simple fact is any word could be seen as a racial slur if enough people choose to use it for that reason.

This should make you think before you post/act. Keep your language Civil. Regardless of what the word you're using is, or the point you are trying to convey, if your language is being used to purposely affect someone directly don't post it. Leave it out. Find another way of expressing your viewpoint. Act responsibly when posting. If thought and consideration is put into a post before hand it would reduce the need for backlash and reported posts.

The terms of use outline user rules and expectations.

We expect you to act responsibly in posting Material on Boards.ie. You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:

• post any abusive, harmful, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, indecent, profane, inappropriate, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable Material.

• Advertisement

I think the only person coming close to flying off the handle in regards to this story is you.

Like I said, minor disagreements and conflicts like this happen all the time in the workplace. You can do like I do, behave like a grown-up and just roll with it or you can choose to take it personally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement