Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarity on reporting posts and on what defines a racial slur

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You think what you want to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

To be honest I am non the wiser. If c mods can use terms such as “edgelord nazi gammons” during a debate then I assume the inflammatory language can be used by all posters. Personally I find this rather regrettable but this isn’t about me.

Thanks though

Misuse of nazi is just appalling. Do these people not even for a moment consider what the nazis did?

Fascist gets distastefully misused often also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What was the context? The OP disingenuously ommitted that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I can absolutely guarantee that she knew I was talking about a place. I wasn’t even talking to her, talking to someone else saying we’d be going by tinkers hill on westmanstown road.

• Advertisement

Well you mentioned it. I was just speaking in general - when it's used about Covid restrictions, when it's used about JK Rowling.

Gemma O’Doherty thread, last few pages really.

I simply don’t think it’s a way to conduct a discussion. The term (without the nazi addition) came up again on a different thread the other day and it prompted me to ask whether it’s racist or not. I guess nobody can agree so it can’t be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

O'Doherty is vile. I cannot abide her, but she is not a nazi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It was used in relation to someone who compared covid restrictions to Nazi Germany. You knew this and omitted it.

State of this. Honestly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I would say the thread has gone full-retard but that's probably not allowed either.

If you look at my OP I explained quite clearly why I opened the thread and asked the question. The term (minus the nazi addition) is being here quite freely and I wondered. The post mentioned above was, in my view, just not something I’d expect to see in a level headed debate according to the forum charter. But as I said: clearly there is no consensus and people won’t agree.

You've also lied here more than once. I know exactly what you're trying to do and the fact that you omitted that the person the gammon comment was directed at was reproached by the Auschwitz Museum shows what your agenda is.

Utterly disgusting. I don't have anything more to add.

My OP was based on my a different thread in which “gammon” was used. I made this clear in my opening post. So don’t try to twist my words here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Living in the UK. Not a Tory Brexit type, or do I associate with any. But i have never heard that word used to describe anyone in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If peoples feelings are so hurt that they think Gammon is a racial slur I can only assume those sensitive folk would never use "snowflake" as that is a white object and thus would have racial connotations, or "woke" which would be offensive to narcoleptics who struggle to sleep.

• I guess if you’re overly sensitive and looking to be offended it is. Otherwise it’s just saying X or Y person has the complexion of a gammon steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• sure if don’t mind sounding a bit stupid I guess?

• Advertisement

So to be clear as a moderator you see nothing actionable with posters using perjorative terms about a particular racial groups physical characteristics - terms some people find offensive on racial grounds?

Bearing in mind these earlier comments on the thread:

As for what defines a Racial slur, Racial slurs are words or phrases that refer to members of racial and ethnic groups in a derogatory manner. If you think it is racist or have any question about it, then it probably is or at least it can be perceived as racist.

• I think the big difference between a white person calling Obama (or any black person) a choc ice is hardly comparable to a white person calling a white person a gammon steak.

Ya know because black people have for years been oppressed and subject to targeted attacks both verbal and physical. We enslaved them and forced them to work for free we literally took away their freedom for our own benefit.

They were shown and continue to be absolute indifference and so it’s a little different when white people get all upset about another white person calling them a gammon or similar as opposed to how a black person might feel when yet again a white person is calling them names. Giving the historical context it would likely be construed as racism and there’s a fair basis for that.

There is less of a fair basis for a white person assuming their the target of racism from something another white person said. Not that it doesn’t happen it’s just scarcely the point of any verbal attack so to speak seeing as racism doesn’t have the same punch when it’s not one ethnicity to another.

So if you call Obama a choc ice you can almost certainly expect to at best look stupid and at worst a racist whereas you’re not too likely to get the same treatment for calling a white dude a gammon.

• If you want my honest opinion if you seriously referred to Obama as a choc ice I would be more likely to act on that as opposed to if you called Donald Trump a gammon. The reason being mainly I’d consider the choc ice remark as a comment on Obama being black whereas gammon is more of a red/pinkish complexion or skin tone and is not a skin colour defining ethnicity.

Meaning even if you have that type of complexion as a white person you’re still classified as white. So in my mind it’s about as racist as calling someone a donut.

EDIT: that said if it was just an attack on another poster or completely irrelevant comment it would probably be actionable in that situation. That’s the thing I can’t really give any sort of definitive answer because it depends on the context.

Like if you referred to a poster as a “big eejit” but it was clearly a joke I am not going to sanction you unlike if you just called someone a big eejit because they said something you disagreed with and it’s clear you’re being inflammatory.

It’s all about the context imo.

I think your posts contradicts itself there. If a skin tone isnt defining ethnicity then why do you assume choc ice refers to being black or black only. Is black as a skin tone not defining of ethinicity or race?

Clearly not all ethinicities or races can have reddish or pinkish complexion with a noticeable 'gammon' effect and it is telling that the term originated being used because the effect is most pronounced in people of a certain skin colour and age brackets.

It can be perceived as racist or having a racial element (as per comments "If you think it is racist or have any question about it, then it probably is or at least it can be perceived as racist.")

And as such is not civil (assuming it is not somehow used in the 'big eejit' joking sense above).

Edit - I dont want to labour the point to death. Recognition that it can be inflammatory given context is an important point I think.

Calling someone a "big eejit" is insulting if that person is struggling with their weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Extremely racist. While the mod should not get a total site ban they should have the honour of being a moderator taken away from them. Hopefully they can take a class or two and educate themselves on racism and improve their behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

We'd basically have to ban all adjectives if we're going to have to appease people who are so easily offended. Gammon is no more racist than any other adjective.

It would be an extremely unusual level of censorship, especially considering how the people most offended by "gammon" generally seem to be folk who complain about overmoderation yet they want unprecedented censorship and moderation.

• Advertisement

I'd say Mike is just shaking his head a lot and updating his cv, muttering ffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement