Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Secondment done anywhere?

• 15-02-2023 11:17am

Secondment was done in blue chip and semi state companies when I was young and innocent.

I never hear of it now.

Did it ever happen in a company you worked for?

I don't think Secondment contributed that much to productivity and team spirit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dat6

It’s regularly done across the public/civil service. Universities will regularly do it and borrow staff/researchers from other universities as part of projects. Gov depts will do the same. Lots of arrangements happen all the time and sometimes a lot better and easier than recruiting staff.

I have seen it done lots within a company group, eg if you work for one subsidiary, someone sent to work for another sister company (within the country or abroad). For example, IT/Finance/Sales/HR person in Company A sent to work with Company B as part of a merge and inserted strategically. Multinationals will do this quite frequently as part of larger goals.

I haven’t seen it between companies that are not owned by the same people. But I know people right now in public sector and sister companies on secondments. I imagine it happens when business owners have good relationships and “loan staff”, eg hospitality.

While it might not build loyalty, it does encourage employees to be open minded and open to change. For organisations, it brings ideas and positive change.

Many orgs have a line built into their employment contracts stating you may be required to work for sister / other companies etc as required by the employer.

It happens a lot more than you think. It just might not be called secondment

Advertisement