Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to change a hipped roof to a gable roof in a housing estate of hipped roof houses

Options
  • 15-02-2023 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I am looking to go for planning to change a hipped roof of a two storey detached house to a gable roof and also to add a dormer window to the rear facade of the house as part of the application.

Do you think it is likely this will get planning or be rejected based on the fact all the other detached houses still have hipped roofs?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Always hard to say, depends on the Estate and location, An Attic conversion I presume and would you have any winodws/roof-lights overlooking anybody?

You should check the Councils website and see if anybody else had Applied for a Roof Conversion similar to yours and rejected

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

always difficult to be the first proposing something like this.

a pre planning enquiry to the local authority would be highly advised

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve been the first in my estate to do it (Dublin)

I’ve also gotten planning for clients as the first in Clonee (Fingal)

its 100% possible but also completely dependant on your local set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 scamper02

Nothing to lose by putting in the planning application. We applied last year for same, hip to gable. House in same estate, same house build applied 2 weeks before us. They got permission, we were not given permission. Now with an bord pleanala (which is taking up to a year). So you might be lucky and get it...doesn't seem to any hard and set rules. Other house has completed their build and we're still waiting. 

Advertisement