Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSB/tax 2023 confusion

Options
  • 15-02-2023 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This one is on behalf of married friend:

"I was let go of my job in end of November due to company wind down.

I went to local office to sign on that week, was advised to go online. Went online signed on for job seekers and heard nothing back. 2nd week of December i got a job offer starting 2nd week of January.

My husband floated us until I started the job and that week got a letter from DSP confirming if I was employed to get my employer to sign letter and issue back to them. Confused, as I hadn't claimed or been awarded, I left it with the employer and letter is missing.

1st pay day arrives 23rd January and my tax credits didn't apply, thinking, emergency tax I went into revenue to see my band rates reduced and tax credit reduced by €3.5k, additional income: DSP €18k.

I ring DSP who advise to go online, but as I've no PSC I'm looped around without resolve. 2nd call I'm advised I am entitled to back pay from sign on date to employment start date. Great news. Regarding tax credits I am told to ring revenue.

Revenue advise they can't remove JSB until DSP close my claim and credits/bands will update automatically.

Today I get a letter for missed payment claim, my award/rate, which is €208 p/w not the €348 I was told by revenue.

After ringing both crowds today, they tried to pass me to each other to resolve the tax issue going forward and neither could assist with what to do next. DSP advised they can only close the claim after I've gotten the back pay and on my instruction. This makes sense but Revenue said any claim I make will affect my total income for 2023 and as such my tax credits and mine/husbands tax band...

So I'm confused, should I claim for the month I was unemployed in december? Shouldn't that be 2022 income which shouldn't affect anything tax related as I would have enough in 2022 tax credits/income band to cover?

If i just get DSP to close the claim, without it, I'm down €1000 and bills have already eaten into savings, but I don't want the claim to cause any further issues for 2023 tax bands, credits etc.

Any advice?"

I did tell her to claim what shes owed, email DSP after advising to close claim from date of employment and then contact revenue after its done... unless someone has a better idea?

Advertisement