Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin. 3rd slowest city to drive through.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't help but wonder if the metric of 'how fast is it to drive across this city' is avoiding the question which should be asked. which is 'how fast it it to travel across this city?'

you could have a city with a phenomenal public transport system where moving 15km across the city centre takes half an hour; but you don't see articles about that. they're always about the car drivers.

why do we see article after article about how slow traffic moves in dublin, london, etc., when the articles should be about how fast people move in dublin, london, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They are trying to get an underground built now though, it just takes forever to get anything done in this country but it looks like its actually happening this time at least.

Ranelagh and Rathmines are already destroyed by car traffic but I don't think there are any plans to widen bus lanes there anyway, if anything they should be widening footpaths. Can't say I've ever met anyone who wont use buses either.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭mvt

Not meaning to make this personal but if your Dad was significant in the field of urban planning in Ireland it would appear to me personally that he was not very good at his job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or you could also be of the opinion that it was not the planners to blame, but the politicians (or what the public wanted of the politicians)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a) you don't know what role he had but you still think he did it wrong

b) if you knew what a planner does then you'd know that any mess that exists isn't down to them! Most of the mess we have is down to politicians or the county managers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

other citys have subways, skyscrapers, large parts of dublin are filled with estates with 3bed houses with gardens ,other citys have large apartment blocks high density housing.planners in the 70s, 80s did not expect the population to rise to the levels it has reached in 2023,

our planning system is out of date and not up to the standards needed in 2023 .i don,t think the government could build a modern underground system ,they have not even started building the new childrens hospital after years of planning

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

they have not even started building the new childrens hospital after years of planning

erm, what year is it now?

Advertisement