Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a solar/ev installation business

Options
  • 15-02-2023 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm very keen to start a solar/ev installation business as I've worked with many of these businesses over the years to help them generate thousands of leads. I now want to set up my own business in this industry. I personally can't carry out the service and would need to hire an electrician to carry out the works.

Does anyone have an experience in starting this type of business? Can you start the business and hire an electrician to carry out the work and if so how does that relate back to the RECI? I spoke with the SEAI and find it quite confusing in regards to what's possible as they were saying the business itself needs to be registered with Safe Electric and said that it can take 6 months to register it and a full house rewire needs to be done in order to register with Safe Electric.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Solar power can also involve plumbing as well as electrics……

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think it has come up here before.

In the end, I don't think it is worth your while hiring one electrician. You need to 'partner' with an electrical contracting company which requires more business. You could also subcontract a sole trader electrician.

If you were busy enough to need a couple of tradesmen, then you might be in a position to actually register as an electrical contractor and employ people. But at the beginning some sort of subcontracting / partnership model would be the way. You will have to work out how you are going to manage the sign-offs and grant applications with the partner / sub-contractor.

Advertisement