Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The second coming of a runner

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Brilliant run in Roscommon - well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Week Starting July 1st - 55K for the week

Weight: 86.6KG On Sunday morning, so still heading the in right direction. Was fairly decent all week, but did increase the amount I was eating a little to try stay on top of the extra KM I was doing.

Also had the guts of a cheat day Sunday, nothing crazy but I was visiting a friends house and actually partook in some of the snacks. Definitely didn't do the dog on it or anything!

Plan: 

Deliberated on different plans for a bit, but I never found one that resonated with me. In the end I decided to make a hybrid plan. First half of the week the sessions are from Graduate boards beginner plan, the weekend runs are from Hal Higdon intermediate 1 (same as I did last year). The boards plan is only 14 weeks compared to 18 of HH (and im already a week in…) so I repeated a few of the boards sessions to make up the extra weeks. I break down my thought process behind it a bit more on the graduate thread

Week 1 of 17: 60min V.Easy | 5 X 8 min Threshold | 60 min V.Easy | Rest | 8k Easy | 15K Easy | Rest/Cross

Monday: 60 min Very easy (8.55KM at 7:01/km)

Legs still pretty tired from Roscommon. It's amazing how well the massage gun works though as I did a light session on my right hamstring the night before, which was the worst feeling one, before one of the kids interrupted me and I never got back to doing my left, and my left was much worse than my right when I went to run. Was fine though, just took the pace very very easy

Tuesday: 2 ish Km warmup, 5 X 8 min Threshold + 4 min recovery, 2 ish KM cooldown (14.13KM @ 6:09/km)

Firstly, I misread the boards plan, it was only 4x… whoops. Was ok though, probably could have done a faster pace than 5:40 for threshold, but my legs are still a bit tired so didn't want to push too hard.

Ballinasloe has a lovely running track, that on Tuesdays is open from 10am to 5pm, so kind of no use to me! So I'll probably be doing the speed sessions on the road.

Wednesday: 60 min Very easy (9KM at 6:37/km)

Legs feeling much better than the monday so the pace is a little higher. I do really like that I'm back to the stage where my legs can feel better despite a decent amount of running Monday and Tuesday

Thursday: Rest

Was tired, was happy enough to get a rest day.

Friday: 8K Easy (6:44/km)

It was a nice morning but for whatever reason I just found it a slog, just wasnt feeling it.

Saturday: 16K Easy (6:27/km)

Some people from the run group are doing 10K, so I decide to do an extra 5k before we meet up. I get my timing wrong so I decide doing an extra KM at this point is probably better than standing around for that time.

Big gang doing the 10k and they went out way to fast for me for a easy run (sub 6:00/km) so I let them off. It is kind of nice to know that I'm doing it deliberately rather than just not being able to keep up with them as it was slower than my 10 mile pace from last week.

Eventually caught up with a few people where one of them was struggling a bit so finished off the run with them.

Seems like the numbers doing the marathon from our group are way down this year, I'm currently the slowest of them and probably am the person who puts the most faith in the run slow mantra, so I've a feeling I'll be doing a lot of these long runs on my own. Not the end of the world, I run on my own most of the time anyways, but I'm sure the 3 hour+ long runs might drag a bit more with only my own company :)

Summary: First time going over 50Km in week since the marathon training last year I'd say, feeling pretty good though, especially considering I raced last week. Bit of a step back week next week, which is fine, plenty of tough weeks ahead!

Signed up for the Tullamore half at the end of august to get some more race day experience. I think I lacked it a bit last year at DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done for having the mental strength to not get pulled along at the faster pace with the crowd for your long run. It's not easy to do when there's a gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Oh for sure, I'm definitely more comfortable with the dropping back than I was in the past but even still my pace was probably a little fast!

Advertisement