Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I tell my manager that I want to quit?

• 16-02-2023 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Getting extremely bored of my job. I work for a consultancy firm and it's not my style. This is more of a way of life than a job. I want out and I want to work for one company only, not a million different clients.

I am highly valued in work so I will be letting them down. However before I hand in my notice I wonder it worth telling my manager that I want to quit. Maybe he can rejig something, but not sure how.

Has anyone told informed their manager that they hate their job before quitting? How did that work out? Or is it a good idea?

Currently interviewing with a few places already.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honestly not sure I'd ever see the benefit of doing that

Can't you finish with a 'I want a different challenge' and let that be that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Find a Job first and then quit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

What do you want to achieve by telling them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭limnam

Pointless.

Find a new role and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,035 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there any chance they will need to do a headcount reduction, eg someone decides that the staff count needs to decrease by 10%

This is the only scenario where it can be helpful for your manager to know,cos they can choose uou for the redundancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Your company has likely lots of other opportunities- have you explored internally first or talked it over with your boss around internal career development? Might be an alternative to quitting - most consultancy roles have a fixed period before you’re assigned to another project so what’s boring today might become interesting in 6 months?

Career progression, more pay, interesting work- they’re all topics for discussion I would have said, before deciding to quit.

But don’t kid yourself that you’ll be missed- you won’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

RE I am highly valued in work

Talk to them by all means but have the homework done re a new job first as you may well get flushed.

If its a Big 4 outfit you are working for then they demand 100% adoration

Have a good listen to this old classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZMoIzmYT5g

...There's talk on the street it sounds so familiar

Great expectations everybody's watching you

People you meet they all seem to know you

Even your old friends treat you like you're something new

Johnny come lately

The new kid in town

Everybody loves you

So don't let them down

You're walking away and they're talking behind you

They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't know where you have been... but I have worked for a big 4 and I also know several partners on personal level and I can tell you that expectation is that you will leave, in fact the whole cost model is based on getting new cheap bodies not that you will hang around and push up the cost structure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,152 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just find a job you want, agree the terms, sign the contract and then hand in your notice, its all very normal and happens every day somewhere, dont over think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

find a new role and then hand in your notice, if you are as highly valued as you say then they wont want to let you go and will come up with a counter offer to entice you to stay, at that stage you can explain your reasoning and hopefully they can accommodate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You first decision point is to decide if consulting is the live for you or not. If it is not, then there is no point in trying to shoe horn yourself into this life style and you'd be better of just concentrating on find a more suitable style of working.

If you decide that consulting is where you want to be, then you need to examine your current role and identify what parts of it does not suit you and see if it is realistic to expect to be able to find a way around those issues.

Deciding on tell your manager or not depends on if you want to continue with the firm. The reality is that employees come and go in consulting firms for all sorts of reasons and even if you are valued or perhaps because you are value most managers will not be surprised if you leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I hate working for clients so eventually 🤣 I got off my behind and found a job in a company where my only 'client' is my employer 🙂 Job hunting is crappy but if you have good skills you will be in demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Don't bring him a problem, bring him a few options.

Advertisement