Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Tools Made in Ireland Anymore?

Options
  • 17-02-2023 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Are there any tool manufacturing facilities left in Ireland?

I know that True Temper of the U.S. have the tool heads of their spades and shovels that have the 10-year guarantee forged in Co. Cork. However, the fibreglass handles are made elsewhere, I think. Also, I dunno if the spades and shovels are assembled in Co. Cork or overseas.

Are there any sole-trader craftsmen making tools in Ireland, for instance?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Co. Clare Man

Lemme add that the 10-year-guaranteed spades and shovels from True Temper are sold in Woodies DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

As regards sole-trader toolmakers I doubt it. I remember visiting McQuillans in Capel Street, nearly 30 years ago and they had some Hitachi power tools on display that were manufactured in Ireland. Also seem to remember that Heyco had a manufacturing facilty in Ireland, somewhere in the west. I have an old Portasol gas-fired soldering iron, made in Carlow. Unfortunately they had a very destructive fire last year that severely damaged their facility; I don't know if they are up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Black and Decker used to have a large manufacturing plant in Kildare Town. It is now home to several businesses.

They closed in the mid eighties

Advertisement